AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still instability in North Kivu: new attacks against civilians
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The defeat of the M23, the main guerrilla group operating in North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo), must not allow to forget that in the Congolese province at least 40 other armed groups are active (see Fides 4/11/2013).
Among them is the ADF (Allied Democratic Forces) - NALU, a movement of Ugandan origin that has settled in the area, and which has recently be associated with a group of Al Shabaab Somalis, perhaps to threaten Uganda, which has long been a military contingent deployed in Mogadishu in support of the Somali authorities.
Some assaults committed against civilians in recent days in some areas of the province are attributed to elements of the ADF - NALU. According to a note sent to Fides Agency by the Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, on November 10 three civilians were killed in Watalinga by some men of the Ugandan movement. On November 12, in the village of Matiba in the territory of Beni, always the ADF - NALU rebels fired on a dozen farmers who were working in the fields. One person was killed and two were injured while one does not know the fate of the other sects.
Other murders in the area are attributed to the militia in Nyatura, one of several militias of "self-defense" that operate in the two Kivu.
Civil society calls on the Congolese authorities and the international community because, after defeating the M23, their attention is to be addressed to other armed groups that threaten the peace and stability of the area. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23