AMERICA/ECUADOR - National Congress: Religious freedom and the public dimension of faith for the closing of the Year of Faith
Quito (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Ruben Salazar Gomez, Archbishop of Bogota and President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia, inaugurated on Wednesday 13th the National Congress on Faith, organized by the Ecuadorian Episcopal Conference on the theme "To walk, build and confess". With this Congress, held in Quito from November 13 to 16, the celebrations for the Year of Faith proclaimed by Pope Benedict XVI ends in Ecuador.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that, in his opening speech, Cardinal Salazar Gómez focused in particular on the meaning of the verb "walk" used by Pope Francis, to express the permanent dynamism of faith. For the Cardinal "faith is at the same time, the door through which one begins to walk and the light that allows us to follow the path that opens our faith".
The Congress is attended, on behalf of Colombia, by His Exc. Mgr. Victor Ochoa, Bishop of Malaga, and Father Pedro Mercado Cepeda, Assistant Secretary of the Colombian Episcopal Conference, who will address the issues of religious freedom and the public dimension of faith. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/11/2013)
- 2015-10-05 - Improving access to education for children
- 2015-09-29 - "Supportive and welcoming border": Ecuador and Peru against trafficking and exploitation
- 2015-08-01 - Papal altar to serve as parish church
- 2015-07-08 - "We also want to be missionaries" says the indigenous representative to the Pope
- 2015-07-07 - The Pope's visit "will mark a before and after with regards to the situation in the country"
- 2015-07-06 - 10 000 from Santo Domingo to Quito for the Pope's Mass
- 2015-06-26 - Still demonstrations against President Correa
- 2015-06-17 - Bishops: dialogue is the only path to find solutions, violence is always destructive
- 2015-04-17 - Floods favor the spread of the chikungunya virus
- 2015-01-29 - The country remembers "the Bishop of the Indios"