AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Appeal rejected: the Bishops' document on the election does not favor any party
San José (Agenzia Fides) - The decision of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal (TSE), which rejected the appeal against the document of the Episcopal Conference of Costa Rica (Cecor) on next year's election , in which it asks to combat absenteeism (see Fides 01/10/2013 ), marks a victory for national democracy: this was said yesterday, 13 November, by the Archbishop of San José, His Exc,. Mgr. José Rafael Quirós, immediately after the publication of the judgment. The note sent to Fides Agency from a local source reports the words of the Archbishop: "With this ruling democracy in Costa Rica has won", "this is to protect both freedom of expression and the religious freedom of all citizens".
The legal action had been taken by three people, who believed that with that text "the Episcopal Conference of Costa Rica went against the self-determination of the voter". In the decision of the TSE, issued on 28 October, one argues instead that "in none of its sections there are phrases that favor a particular political tendency or, on the contrary, that seem to diminish the support to a specific group ."
They are little more than 3 million and 100 thousand Costa Ricans registered to vote in presidential and legislative elections to be held on February 2 next year. The Episcopal Conference of Costa Rica has issued a document to prepare Catholics voters and all people of good will, entitled "Rehabilitar la Politica" (ethical criteria to illuminate the electoral process and democratic life, 2013-2014), signed on 7 October 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/11/2013 )
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Bishops to MPs: "only wear the shirt of Costa Rica"
- 2014-01-27 AMERICA/COSTA RICA – The Bishops' appeal before the vote on February 2: Choose the deputies with attention
- 2014-01-08 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The new Bishop of El General calls on Costa Ricans to vote on February 2
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - From December, all the parishes will reflect on the Bishops’ document in view of elections
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Alert concerning dengue cases among children under 4 years of age: since 2013 1,500 have been infected
- 2013-11-14 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Appeal rejected: the Bishops' document on the election does not favor any party
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - " It is time to act!": Families in defense of life, the first human right
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Poverty rate remains constant and alarming
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The Church offers criteria to elect the next President: a document is being prepared
- 2013-08-24 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Violence against children: an "epidemic" that continues to spread