AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Year of Faith: "We must all work for conversion"
Granada (Agenzia Fides) - "We want to re-awaken as a Catholic Church and continue to work in the coming years to become a community that transforms reality, we must stop evil, injustice and sin, in order to reign in the love of Christ and of the Gospel, we believe we can transform the heart of the world and of today's society", said Mgr. Jorge Solórzano Pérez, Bishop of Granada (Nicaragua), in a pastoral letter published on the occasion of the celebration of the centenary of the Ecclesiastical Province of Granada, of the closing of the Year of Faith and the consecration of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, one of the oldest churches in the Americas.
In the message, sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Solorzano Pérez, addressed an energetic appeal to Catholics to promote evangelization. "The celebration of the first 100 years of our Diocese should be a time of reflection, conversion, historical justice and a renewed commitment to give joyful witness and proclaim boldly the gospel of Jesus".
The Diocese of Granada with a population of 570,000 inhabitants, of whom 520,000 Catholics, and an area of 7,378.18 km2, is composed of 48 parishes, 548 churches and missionary chapels. There are 67 diocesan priests and 9 religious priests distributed in Boaco, Rivas and Granada regions. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished