AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Year of Faith: "We must all work for conversion"
Granada (Agenzia Fides) - "We want to re-awaken as a Catholic Church and continue to work in the coming years to become a community that transforms reality, we must stop evil, injustice and sin, in order to reign in the love of Christ and of the Gospel, we believe we can transform the heart of the world and of today's society", said Mgr. Jorge Solórzano Pérez, Bishop of Granada (Nicaragua), in a pastoral letter published on the occasion of the celebration of the centenary of the Ecclesiastical Province of Granada, of the closing of the Year of Faith and the consecration of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, one of the oldest churches in the Americas.
In the message, sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Solorzano Pérez, addressed an energetic appeal to Catholics to promote evangelization. "The celebration of the first 100 years of our Diocese should be a time of reflection, conversion, historical justice and a renewed commitment to give joyful witness and proclaim boldly the gospel of Jesus".
The Diocese of Granada with a population of 570,000 inhabitants, of whom 520,000 Catholics, and an area of 7,378.18 km2, is composed of 48 parishes, 548 churches and missionary chapels. There are 67 diocesan priests and 9 religious priests distributed in Boaco, Rivas and Granada regions. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2014-07-22 - The Archdiocese of Managua condemns the criminal act against innocent civilians on Saturday
- 2014-06-04 - Bishops awaiting the President's reply to the questions posed
- 2014-05-22 - Dialogue between the Church and government begins: "In search of new horizons for a better Nicaragua"
- 2014-05-20 - The Church on the eve of talks with the government: problems are not solved by ignoring them
- 2014-05-14 - Bishops call for three days of prayer for the Church-Government meeting
- 2014-04-08 - Pastor killed: he was "a charismatic, sociable, cheerful priest, he inspired young people to follow Jesus Christ"
- 2014-03-26 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – The government of Ortega ready to dialogue with the Church
- 2014-03-20 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter
- 2014-03-18 - Cardinal Brenes: "the Church is ready to dialogue with the President"
- 2014-03-12 - Full availability of Bishops to dialogue with the government on issues of national interest