AMERICA/NICARAGUA - Year of Faith: "We must all work for conversion"
Granada (Agenzia Fides) - "We want to re-awaken as a Catholic Church and continue to work in the coming years to become a community that transforms reality, we must stop evil, injustice and sin, in order to reign in the love of Christ and of the Gospel, we believe we can transform the heart of the world and of today's society", said Mgr. Jorge Solórzano Pérez, Bishop of Granada (Nicaragua), in a pastoral letter published on the occasion of the celebration of the centenary of the Ecclesiastical Province of Granada, of the closing of the Year of Faith and the consecration of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, one of the oldest churches in the Americas.
In the message, sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Solorzano Pérez, addressed an energetic appeal to Catholics to promote evangelization. "The celebration of the first 100 years of our Diocese should be a time of reflection, conversion, historical justice and a renewed commitment to give joyful witness and proclaim boldly the gospel of Jesus".
The Diocese of Granada with a population of 570,000 inhabitants, of whom 520,000 Catholics, and an area of 7,378.18 km2, is composed of 48 parishes, 548 churches and missionary chapels. There are 67 diocesan priests and 9 religious priests distributed in Boaco, Rivas and Granada regions. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter