ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Incalculable material damage, more than 4 million people devastated by Hayan: NGOs mobilize
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - Among the many humanitarian organizations that are mobilizing to help the people of the Philippines, also Manos Unidas, engaged in the Asian country for over 25 years, together with the organization Bicol Consortium for Development Initiatives ( BCDI ), which is already receiving aid from the Archdiocese of Manila, will contribute to the distribution of aid collected for the victims of Typhoon Hayan and for each type of emergency intervention aimed to reconstruct the area. The main focus is human rights regarding the most vulnerable people and communities that are located in areas at risk, aggravated by service and precarious prevention. As in so many other occasions, the damage caused by the typhoon have been much more severe. About 80% of the city of Tacloban, the provincial capital, was destroyed by the violent wind and six feet tall waves. BCDI has been working with Manos Unidas for 5 years and has great experience in the realization of projects for prevention during natural disasters, and is present in the areas of North and South Camarines and Masbate, damaged by the typhoon and usually affected by natural disasters. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2015-11-19 - Appeal for inclusive growth in the Asia-Pacific area
- 2015-10-21 - The damage of Typhoon Koppu: Dead, missing, harvests destroyed
- 2015-10-09 - Tentorio's murder is "a blood stain on justice"
- 2015-10-08 - A missionary: "The Italian Del Torchio kidnapped for money"
- 2015-09-30 - Thousands of children risk their lives in the gold mines
- 2015-09-30 - Priest stabbed to death in central Philippines
- 2015-09-26 - An incentive from Pope Francis to fight against human trafficking
- 2015-09-24 - The Church alongside the tribal victims of violence and persecution
- 2015-09-11 - From the crisis of Zamboanga, a hope for Muslim-Christian relations
- 2015-09-08 - Peace is possible in the southern Philippines, with faith