AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Rwandan military have entered Congolese territory where they are lined up 3 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). This was revealed in a note sent to Fides Agency by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society in North Kivu. According to the note, the military, coming from the capital of Rwanda, Kigali and from Butare and Gisenyi, camped in Murambi, in the territory of Nyiragongo, near the airport of Goma.
It is estimated that their battalion amounts to about 300 men, armed with machine guns and rocket launchers. The soldiers are consolidating their positions, digging trenches and installing camouflage tarps.
The Congolese press correlates the consolidation of the Rwandan military positions on the border with the DRC with the failure of negotiations in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, between the government of Kinshasa and the rebels of the M23, defeated militarily by the Congolese army (with the help of UN peacekeepers). The Congolese delegation refused to sign an agreement text that had been presented before the defeat of the rebels. Among the issues under discussion is that on the integration in the Congolese armed forces of former rebels. A controversial issue because in the recent past, other guerrilla groups that have integrated the army took the opportunity to continue to act with impunity in the east of the DRC. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2015-09-17 - Uncontrollable epidemic of measles: 23,000 people infected
- 2015-09-14 - The jihadists hide in the forests of Virunga protected by apparently autonomous local groups
- 2015-09-07 - New massacres committed by jihadists in North Kivu
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family