AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Rwandan military have entered Congolese territory where they are lined up 3 km from Goma, capital of North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo). This was revealed in a note sent to Fides Agency by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society in North Kivu. According to the note, the military, coming from the capital of Rwanda, Kigali and from Butare and Gisenyi, camped in Murambi, in the territory of Nyiragongo, near the airport of Goma.
It is estimated that their battalion amounts to about 300 men, armed with machine guns and rocket launchers. The soldiers are consolidating their positions, digging trenches and installing camouflage tarps.
The Congolese press correlates the consolidation of the Rwandan military positions on the border with the DRC with the failure of negotiations in the Ugandan capital, Kampala, between the government of Kinshasa and the rebels of the M23, defeated militarily by the Congolese army (with the help of UN peacekeepers). The Congolese delegation refused to sign an agreement text that had been presented before the defeat of the rebels. Among the issues under discussion is that on the integration in the Congolese armed forces of former rebels. A controversial issue because in the recent past, other guerrilla groups that have integrated the army took the opportunity to continue to act with impunity in the east of the DRC. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2014-04-03 - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
- 2014-04-02 - Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
- 2014-03-31 - The creation of an African Criminal Court is urgently needed" said a scholar at the Catholic University of Congo
- 2014-03-24 - More than 250 Congolese refugees drown while trying to return home from Uganda
- 2014-03-11 - To improve road communications in view of the national pilgrimage for the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite
- 2014-03-04 - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines