AMERICA/HAITI - " The rebuilding begins to bear fruit", the U.S. Bishops’ report on the aid to the Church in Haiti
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Bishops attended the screening of a video report on the work of reconstruction carried out in Haiti during the Plenary Assembly of the Bishops' Conference of the United States of America (USCCB) which takes place in Baltimore. According to a note sent to Fides Agency the video was presented on November 11 by Mgr. Dennis Schnurr of the Diocese of Cincinnati and president of the Committee for the collection of aid at a national level. The video features some of the works carried out by the USCCB in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake.
"The Church in Haiti and the other sister Churches, united in the association PROCHE, have completed the planning work, while the execution phase of the reconstruction program of the Church has begun in a safe and transparent manner" said Archbishop Schnurr.
Other partners of PROCHE, in addition to USCCB, are Adveniat, the Koch Foundation, and the Spanish Episcopal Conference.
Haiti is strongly affected by the consequences of political instability and natural disasters that have hit the island in recent years, in particular the January 2010 earthquake destroyed a significant part of the capital Port-au -Prince and is estimated to have caused more than 200,000 deaths (see Fides "Haiti" 2010). The quake destroyed by the way, much of the infrastructure of the Church in the Archdiocese of Port- au-Prince and in the Diocese of Jacmel. It is estimated that the cost of reconstruction of Catholics buildings is more than 150 million dollars. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country
- 2014-07-08 - The chikungunya virus attacks the poor, even the Church is committed to keeping the disease under control
- 2014-06-04 - Project "House built, hope fulfilled – Vita Ville" for many families, victims of the earthquake
- 2014-05-28 - Economic support for Haitian mothers who live in extreme poverty
- 2014-05-16 - Three years of Martelly’s presidency, among acclaim and requests for resignation
- 2014-05-16 - A center to transform cassava into flour and cope with food insecurity
- 2014-05-08 - Brotherhood and solidarity respond to those who promote hatred between Haitians and Dominicans
- 2014-04-29 - International organizations committed to solving the new political crisis
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation