AMERICA/HAITI - " The rebuilding begins to bear fruit", the U.S. Bishops’ report on the aid to the Church in Haiti
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Bishops attended the screening of a video report on the work of reconstruction carried out in Haiti during the Plenary Assembly of the Bishops' Conference of the United States of America (USCCB) which takes place in Baltimore. According to a note sent to Fides Agency the video was presented on November 11 by Mgr. Dennis Schnurr of the Diocese of Cincinnati and president of the Committee for the collection of aid at a national level. The video features some of the works carried out by the USCCB in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake.
"The Church in Haiti and the other sister Churches, united in the association PROCHE, have completed the planning work, while the execution phase of the reconstruction program of the Church has begun in a safe and transparent manner" said Archbishop Schnurr.
Other partners of PROCHE, in addition to USCCB, are Adveniat, the Koch Foundation, and the Spanish Episcopal Conference.
Haiti is strongly affected by the consequences of political instability and natural disasters that have hit the island in recent years, in particular the January 2010 earthquake destroyed a significant part of the capital Port-au -Prince and is estimated to have caused more than 200,000 deaths (see Fides "Haiti" 2010). The quake destroyed by the way, much of the infrastructure of the Church in the Archdiocese of Port- au-Prince and in the Diocese of Jacmel. It is estimated that the cost of reconstruction of Catholics buildings is more than 150 million dollars. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2015-01-19 - New cabinet of Haiti to be sworn in today
- 2015-01-14 - AMERICA/HAITI – Parliament dissolved, demonstrations against President increase
- 2015-01-12 - Agreement between the President and opposition: elections in 2015
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/HAITI – 5 years after the earthquake the Catholic Church is helping Haiti to recover
- 2014-12-09 - Foyer Bethlehem: “giving persons with disabilities what nature and human indifference have denied them”
- 2014-12-01 - A Commission to save the country from the crisis
- 2014-11-27 - The Church ready to intervene to ensure the country's political future
- 2014-10-16 - Haiti will ask for an extension to the Dominican Republic to regulate the "sans papiers"
- 2014-09-23 - Social movements denounce the failure of the UN Mission, protests in the streets
- 2014-08-21 - Elections postponed and there is growing uncertainty about the future of the Country