AMERICA/HAITI - " The rebuilding begins to bear fruit", the U.S. Bishops’ report on the aid to the Church in Haiti
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The U.S. Bishops attended the screening of a video report on the work of reconstruction carried out in Haiti during the Plenary Assembly of the Bishops' Conference of the United States of America (USCCB) which takes place in Baltimore. According to a note sent to Fides Agency the video was presented on November 11 by Mgr. Dennis Schnurr of the Diocese of Cincinnati and president of the Committee for the collection of aid at a national level. The video features some of the works carried out by the USCCB in Haiti after the 2010 earthquake.
"The Church in Haiti and the other sister Churches, united in the association PROCHE, have completed the planning work, while the execution phase of the reconstruction program of the Church has begun in a safe and transparent manner" said Archbishop Schnurr.
Other partners of PROCHE, in addition to USCCB, are Adveniat, the Koch Foundation, and the Spanish Episcopal Conference.
Haiti is strongly affected by the consequences of political instability and natural disasters that have hit the island in recent years, in particular the January 2010 earthquake destroyed a significant part of the capital Port-au -Prince and is estimated to have caused more than 200,000 deaths (see Fides "Haiti" 2010). The quake destroyed by the way, much of the infrastructure of the Church in the Archdiocese of Port- au-Prince and in the Diocese of Jacmel. It is estimated that the cost of reconstruction of Catholics buildings is more than 150 million dollars. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/11/2013)
- 2014-03-17 - Elections on October 26, the President thanks the Church for the mediation
- 2014-03-14 - Dialogue to conclude the agreement in the country has started again
- 2014-03-06 - Political dialogue resumes, with the mediation of Cardinal Langlois
- 2014-02-25 - “A presence in the eyes of the world for our small country”: newly created Cardinal Langlois speaks with Fides
- 2014-02-18 - The signing of the agreement to overcome the political crisis in Haiti has been postponed
- 2014-01-13 - Four years after the disaster most of the population live in unacceptable poverty
- 2014-01-10 - AMERICA/HAITI – Children for a new Haiti, four years after the earthquake
- 2013-12-16 - "Just like the Holy Family, many Haitian families continue to flee risking their lives": the Bishops' message
- 2013-11-28 - AMERICA/HAITI – Haitians escape, they must avoid the violence on behalf of neighbors
- 2013-11-14 - More than 170 murders and violence continues, we need a plan for disarmament