AFRICA - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The tragedy that struck the Philippines, devastated by typhoon Haiyan, has aroused emotion in Africa, particularly in Libya where there is a strong community of Filipino immigrants. As reported in the newspaper "Libya Herald" the local association of Overseas Filipino Workers , OFW has started collecting money to send home to help the victims of the typhoon.
The funds will be collected with the help of the local Church, especially in Benghazi.
The Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference (SACBC, which brings together the Bishops of South Africa, Botswana and Swaziland) has sent a message of solidarity to the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines.
The message signed by His Exc. Mgr. Stephen Brislin, Archbishop of Cape Town and President of the SACBC, assures prayers for the victims and remembers that an appeal was launched to the faithful of Botswana, South Africa and Swaziland in order for them to be supportive towards those who have been affected by the natural disaster. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2015-10-12 - Ugandan Bishops: "Pope Francis comes here as a bridge builder"
- 2015-09-30 - Bishops on the challenges regarding the family in Africa: poverty, war, ecological crisis, contrary ideologies
- 2015-09-22 - Africa prepares to welcome Pope Francis
- 2015-06-10 - "The main problem in Africa is the crisis of values", says a UN African Special Representative
- 2015-04-20 - Senegalese NGO: "An international coalition to combat human trafficking"
- 2015-03-26 - Rome -Caritas meeting: A million displaced persons and refugees fleeing Boko Haram
- 2015-03-18 - AFRICA – One out of 5 people with Ebola is a child
- 2015-03-14 - "Africa, a continent on the move", Africa is always more part of the global village
- 2015-03-02 - "Do not lose hope aroused by the Arab Spring", say the Bishops of North Africa
- 2015-01-08 - The Holy See expresses gratitude to local Churches in Africa fighting Ebola