AFRICA - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - The tragedy that struck the Philippines, devastated by typhoon Haiyan, has aroused emotion in Africa, particularly in Libya where there is a strong community of Filipino immigrants. As reported in the newspaper "Libya Herald" the local association of Overseas Filipino Workers , OFW has started collecting money to send home to help the victims of the typhoon.
The funds will be collected with the help of the local Church, especially in Benghazi.
The Southern African Catholic Bishops' Conference (SACBC, which brings together the Bishops of South Africa, Botswana and Swaziland) has sent a message of solidarity to the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines.
The message signed by His Exc. Mgr. Stephen Brislin, Archbishop of Cape Town and President of the SACBC, assures prayers for the victims and remembers that an appeal was launched to the faithful of Botswana, South Africa and Swaziland in order for them to be supportive towards those who have been affected by the natural disaster. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2014-06-25 - Ebola in West Africa: massive deployment of resources needed
- 2014-06-23 - "Immigrants are transforming our Church", say the Catholic Bishops of North Africa
- 2014-06-11 - Economics and Finance: Is Africa the continent of the future?
- 2014-04-25 - President of SECAM: "Africans have to rely greatly on their own human material resources"
- 2013-12-02 - No discrimination of AIDS patients; emphasis on "miraculous" solutions
- 2013-11-20 - Thirty years of the Church’s commitment in Africa against AIDS
- 2013-11-12 - Typhoon in the Philippines: solidarity in Africa springs into action
- 2013-10-15 - The wishes of the Catholic Church in Africa to the Muslim faithful for the feast of Aid El Adha
- 2013-10-14 - The Bishops of North Africa: "Our Countries have also become places of immigration"
- 2013-10-04 - Lampedusa : "To fight against traffickers and help migrant Countries" proposes Mgr.Bertin