ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops: novena of national prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - The faithful Filipinos will carry out, in all the churches of the nation, a special novena of prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan (locally called "Yolanda"), to ask God for protection and support for the people affected.
Archbishop Jose Palma, President of the Episcopal Conference - who yesterday stressed the strong faith of the Filipinos, "which is stronger than the typhoon" - sent a letter to all parishes, inviting priests to offer prayer intentions in the Masses for nine days, especially for the victims of the typhoon and for their families.
The Bishops have also announced that the campaign of solidarity of Lent 2014 will be dedicated to support projects of rehabilitation and reconstruction of areas destroyed by the typhoon. There are 22 (out of 86) ecclesiastical territories (between dioceses and apostolic vicariate) somehow affected by the devastating effects of typhoon "Yolanda", which hit the central Philippines and defined "the strongest ever recorded in the history of the nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2014-12-10 - "Yolanda" survivors now helping "Hagupit" victims
- 2014-12-01 - Compassion but also "no" to corruption: the Church celebrates the Year of the poor
- 2014-11-29 - The Silsilah movement: Advent of solidarity and friendship with Muslims
- 2014-11-27 - Justice for the massacre in Maguindanao: the relatives of the victims write to the Pope
- 2014-11-21 - 30 years since its foundation, the commitment of "Silsilah" movement for dialogue reinforces
- 2014-11-15 - Cardinal Tagle: "The Pope's visit, a blessing that invokes responsibility"
- 2014-11-11 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – To cancel foreign debt in order to contribute to the reconstruction after Typhoon Haiyan
- 2014-10-30 - The Silsilah dialogue movement: "Fight soldiers with prayer"
- 2014-10-28 - The Bishops: "Even a life sentence is inhuman"
- 2014-10-17 - The murder of the missionary Fr. Fausto Tentorio remains unsolved