ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops: novena of national prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - The faithful Filipinos will carry out, in all the churches of the nation, a special novena of prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan (locally called "Yolanda"), to ask God for protection and support for the people affected.
Archbishop Jose Palma, President of the Episcopal Conference - who yesterday stressed the strong faith of the Filipinos, "which is stronger than the typhoon" - sent a letter to all parishes, inviting priests to offer prayer intentions in the Masses for nine days, especially for the victims of the typhoon and for their families.
The Bishops have also announced that the campaign of solidarity of Lent 2014 will be dedicated to support projects of rehabilitation and reconstruction of areas destroyed by the typhoon. There are 22 (out of 86) ecclesiastical territories (between dioceses and apostolic vicariate) somehow affected by the devastating effects of typhoon "Yolanda", which hit the central Philippines and defined "the strongest ever recorded in the history of the nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2015-06-25 - "Laudati Sì" a source of inspiration for dialogue and for the care of creation
- 2015-06-22 - Cardinal Quevedo: "The disarmament of Islamic guerrillas is an important step for peace"
- 2015-06-02 - Message from the "Silsilah" movement: a Ramadan of peace in Mindanao
- 2015-05-26 - Bishops: "Laity and parishes have to act in order to combat modern slavery"
- 2015-05-19 - "Ready to welcome the Rohingya migrants": State and Church agree
- 2015-05-18 - Building peace remembering martyr Claretian Rhoel Gallardo
- 2015-05-13 - Education and aid to the poor at the Luigi Caburlotto school
- 2015-05-13 - The construction of a new shelter for the poor has begun
- 2015-05-08 - The Village of Harmony has been giving an example of "life-in-dialogue" in southern Philippines for 25 years
- 2015-04-24 - Islamic and Christian religious leaders: "Necessity to review the Bangasamoro Basic Law"