ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops: novena of national prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - The faithful Filipinos will carry out, in all the churches of the nation, a special novena of prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan (locally called "Yolanda"), to ask God for protection and support for the people affected.
Archbishop Jose Palma, President of the Episcopal Conference - who yesterday stressed the strong faith of the Filipinos, "which is stronger than the typhoon" - sent a letter to all parishes, inviting priests to offer prayer intentions in the Masses for nine days, especially for the victims of the typhoon and for their families.
The Bishops have also announced that the campaign of solidarity of Lent 2014 will be dedicated to support projects of rehabilitation and reconstruction of areas destroyed by the typhoon. There are 22 (out of 86) ecclesiastical territories (between dioceses and apostolic vicariate) somehow affected by the devastating effects of typhoon "Yolanda", which hit the central Philippines and defined "the strongest ever recorded in the history of the nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2015-02-26 - Military offensive in Mindanao; the Bishop in Basilan: "For peace, sincerity is needed"
- 2015-02-24 - Bishops issue “Oratio imperata” for peace in Mindanao
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – In the Year of the Poor, Lent is a favourable time for solidarity
- 2015-02-19 - Missionary says: “someone wants to destabilise Mindanao”
- 2015-02-18 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Christian and Muslim religious leaders: “the peace process must not be abandoned”
- 2015-02-09 - No to "total war" in Mindanao, unity against "the ideology of violence"
- 2015-02-05 - Interfaith harmony, a journey towards peace in the world
- 2015-02-03 - Pope's letter to the Archbishop of Palo: "I will never forget Tacloban"
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops: No to violence in Mindanao, support for the peace process
- 2015-01-20 - Bishops: to put into practice the words of the Pope on the proximity to the poor