ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops: novena of national prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - The faithful Filipinos will carry out, in all the churches of the nation, a special novena of prayer for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan (locally called "Yolanda"), to ask God for protection and support for the people affected.
Archbishop Jose Palma, President of the Episcopal Conference - who yesterday stressed the strong faith of the Filipinos, "which is stronger than the typhoon" - sent a letter to all parishes, inviting priests to offer prayer intentions in the Masses for nine days, especially for the victims of the typhoon and for their families.
The Bishops have also announced that the campaign of solidarity of Lent 2014 will be dedicated to support projects of rehabilitation and reconstruction of areas destroyed by the typhoon. There are 22 (out of 86) ecclesiastical territories (between dioceses and apostolic vicariate) somehow affected by the devastating effects of typhoon "Yolanda", which hit the central Philippines and defined "the strongest ever recorded in the history of the nation". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2015-11-19 - Appeal for inclusive growth in the Asia-Pacific area
- 2015-10-21 - The damage of Typhoon Koppu: Dead, missing, harvests destroyed
- 2015-10-09 - Tentorio's murder is "a blood stain on justice"
- 2015-10-08 - A missionary: "The Italian Del Torchio kidnapped for money"
- 2015-09-30 - Thousands of children risk their lives in the gold mines
- 2015-09-30 - Priest stabbed to death in central Philippines
- 2015-09-26 - An incentive from Pope Francis to fight against human trafficking
- 2015-09-24 - The Church alongside the tribal victims of violence and persecution
- 2015-09-11 - From the crisis of Zamboanga, a hope for Muslim-Christian relations
- 2015-09-08 - Peace is possible in the southern Philippines, with faith