AMERICA/MEXICO - "Evangelization in a context of violence" at the center of the reflection of the Bishops’ Assembly
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - "We are doing our work of evangelization in a more violent context compared to other States and Monsignor Miguel (Mgr. Miguel Patiño Velazquez, Bishop of Apatzingán) is perhaps in the most difficult and controversial area of the Country" said the Bishop of the Diocese of Zamora, Mgr. Javier Navarro in a note sent to Fides, commenting on the situation in Mexico during the opening of the 96th Plenary Assembly of the Mexican Episcopal Conference (CEM). A reality that was reported at the opening of the works in the message by the President of CEM, Cardinal José Francisco Robles Ortega, Archbishop of Guadalajara: "Many brothers and sisters are suffering tragic circumstances because of injustice, inequality, marginalization, poverty, migration, confusion, increase of violence and insecurity caused by organized crime, corruption and impunity, as courageously denounced by some of the brothers in the episcopate".
It is not the first time that the authorities of the Church in fact raise their voice against the increase of violence. Michoacan has been besieged by organized crime for several months (see Fides 05/06/2013). So far, however, the authorities' response has been ineffective, stressed Mgr. Javier Navarro.
The dramatic situation in the region was also denounced by Mgr. Patiño Velazque , Bishop of Apatzingán in a message (see Fides 30/10/2013 where he openly speaks of "a failed state" which prompted the authorities to strengthen security with elements of the federal police and the army.
The Bishop of Zamora pointed out that the Bishops are not threatened, and therefore should not be silent or accept agreements with organized crime. He announced that on November 14, during the 96th Plenary Assembly of CEM, the Bishops of Michoacan and Guerrero will lead a forum on how to evangelize in a context of violence. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement