AMERICA/MEXICO - Three commitments on behalf of the authorities for migrants, after the intervention of Mgr. Vera López
Coahuila (Agenzia Fides) - The governor of the state of Coahuila, Rubén Moreira, has publicly asked to assist and support the demands of the Bishop of Saltillo (Coahuila, Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. José Raúl Vera López, O.P., with regards to migrants. "I congratulate the Congress of Coahuila for allowing the intervention of the Bishop. The theme which was dealt, migrants, difficulties and violations of human rights, with the dangers that they entail, is an important issue", said the governor (see Fides 06/11/2013 ).
In the note sent to Fides Agency one also reads the governor’s considerations : "I hope that the Congress will listen to Bishop Vera’s voice. On our behalf, we talked with him for three reasons: first, to improve the facilities of the Casa del Migrante, a commitment that we have to take in solidarity with our migrant brothers. The other reason concerns the development of a protocol of attention of the authorities in the case of an immigrant who has suffered an accident in our state. Finally, to support the request of the Diocese on a special visa for humanitarian migrants". He also noted that the possibility to grant such permission is already being studied by the (local) state.
The state of Coahuila is one of the states in Mexico, where there are numerous acts of violence against migrants (see Fides 11/07/2013). Since 2011, the National Commission of Human Rights in Mexico (CNDH), the Federal Secretariat for Labour, together with Mgr. Vera López and the last three governors of the area, have warned that the forces of drug trafficking have created a lot of tension in the area due to violence against migrants and with a large number of murders and executions of the population. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/11/2013)
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children
- 2015-01-26 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Central America discuss the issue regarding assistance to migrants
- 2015-01-19 - Bishop of Zacatecas: The closure of mines is everyone’s problem
- 2015-01-17 - "We must stop violent groups", said Bishop Gallardo
- 2015-01-16 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The Bishops of Guerrero appreciate the good will of the army
- 2015-01-16 - The New Testament in Tsotsil language in the pipeline
- 2015-01-14 - Corruption: a serious disease that has infected all
- 2015-01-09 - The priests of Guerrero "continue to preach the Gospel as always" despite threats and blackmail,
- 2015-01-07 - "The jungle law" does not stop theft