ASIA/IRAQ - The Catholic Bishops: foreign representatives favor the flight of Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - Among the factors which encourage the exodus of Christians from Iraq there is also the practice adopted by many foreign embassies and consulates that facilitate the granting of visas for asylum to Iraqi Christians. The phenomenon was again stigmatized with concern by the Iraqis Catholic bishops, who met in extraordinary Council in Baghdad on 5 November at the invitation of the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako. This was reported by official sources of the Iraqi Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency.
The process of "organized migration" has been repeatedly reported with alarm by the Chaldean Patriarch, who during last week's meeting suggested to consult the other Churches and Christian communities in Iraq in order to respond, with concrete and shared measures, to this phenomenon that contributes to jeopardizing the continued existence of the community of the baptized in different areas of the Middle East. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/11/2013)
- 2014-03-10 ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean Church in aid of displaced people of Fallujah and Ramadi
- 2014-03-03 ASIA/IRAQ - Political leader denounces: the lands of Christians who emigrated plundered with the complicity of corrupt officials
- 2014-02-26 ASIA/IRAQ – Iraq’s Catholic Bishops insist: we must react to the violence destroying our nation
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/IRAQ - Patriarch Sako: A Lenten Season of fasting and prayer that Christians in Iraq will not emigrate
- 2014-02-21 ASIA/IRAQ – Decision to include Syriac and Christian religious education in 152 schools
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Patriarch Sako: we need a "Chaldean League"
- 2014-02-14 ASIA/IRAQ - Campaign against the gifts between people in love on Valentine's Day. The Islamists: "it is a Christian feast"
- 2014-02-07 ASIA/IRAQ - Christian candidates in random order in the next national elections
- 2014-01-31 ASIA/IRAQ - The Leaders of Christian Churches: every adult citizen has to be free to choose his own religion
- 2014-01-30 ASIA/IRAQ – A Christian killed for his refusal to build silencers for firearms