ASIA/IRAQ - The Catholic Bishops: foreign representatives favor the flight of Christians
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - Among the factors which encourage the exodus of Christians from Iraq there is also the practice adopted by many foreign embassies and consulates that facilitate the granting of visas for asylum to Iraqi Christians. The phenomenon was again stigmatized with concern by the Iraqis Catholic bishops, who met in extraordinary Council in Baghdad on 5 November at the invitation of the Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans Louis Raphael I Sako. This was reported by official sources of the Iraqi Patriarchate consulted by Fides Agency.
The process of "organized migration" has been repeatedly reported with alarm by the Chaldean Patriarch, who during last week's meeting suggested to consult the other Churches and Christian communities in Iraq in order to respond, with concrete and shared measures, to this phenomenon that contributes to jeopardizing the continued existence of the community of the baptized in different areas of the Middle East. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/11/2013)
- 2015-08-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to Iraqi political leaders: integrate the voluntary militias in the army
- 2015-08-24 - A committee against abuse and violence against Christians has been set up
- 2015-08-08 - "We are hated because we persist in wanting to exist as Christians", testimony of Mgr. Warda
- 2015-08-06 - A year ago ISIS expelled Christians from the Nineveh plain
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"