ASIA/JORDAN - The Director of Caritas: the refugee camp in Zaatari will become a "provisional city"
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - The biggest refugee camp hosting Syrian refugees, displaced in the Jordanian desert, is about to become a "temporary city". This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Wael Suleiman, Director of Caritas Jordan. "With 130 thousand people in the camp, for a period that could last years, the UN leaders and the Jordanian government believe that its transformation into a city was the only possible choice. Therefore we will have a new city in the al-Zaatari desert. The work to bring water, electricity and services have already begun".
Overcrowding in Zaatari is one of the factors that continue to cause sufferings to the daily life of the camp residents. Abuse and violence, especially towards women, are on the agenda. The boys are growing up without any kind of education and formation. And the prospect of spending another winter in tents is inconceivable to those who are still camped.
The figures provided by the UN speak of one million 300 thousand Syrians who have taken refuge in the Hashemite Kingdom. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2013)
- 2015-07-03 - The UN decreases aid to Syrian refugees. The Director of Caritas Jordan: the great powers have created the catastrophe, and now they wash their hands
- 2015-05-21 - Educational project for young Christian refugees who have fled from north Iraq
- 2015-04-29 - The first "Lourdes Grotto" in the Hashemite Kingdom
- 2015-03-02 - The parish pastoral Councils answer the questions for the Synod on the family
- 2015-02-10 - CCSM denounces offensive drawings of Lord Jesus Christ on hookahs
- 2015-02-04 - Today masses and prayers in churches for the pilot burned alive by jihadists
- 2015-02-03 - Jordanian Minister: satirical cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad have nothing to do with Christianity
- 2015-01-22 - King Abdullah II praises the Pope: religions must not offended
- 2015-01-05 - Christian Schools welcome the Iraqis children who fled from Mosul and Nineveh Plain
- 2015-01-02 - The Grand Mufti of Jordan: the pronouncement of the "Fatwa" is reserved for authorized experts