ASIA/JORDAN - The Director of Caritas: the refugee camp in Zaatari will become a "provisional city"
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - The biggest refugee camp hosting Syrian refugees, displaced in the Jordanian desert, is about to become a "temporary city". This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Wael Suleiman, Director of Caritas Jordan. "With 130 thousand people in the camp, for a period that could last years, the UN leaders and the Jordanian government believe that its transformation into a city was the only possible choice. Therefore we will have a new city in the al-Zaatari desert. The work to bring water, electricity and services have already begun".
Overcrowding in Zaatari is one of the factors that continue to cause sufferings to the daily life of the camp residents. Abuse and violence, especially towards women, are on the agenda. The boys are growing up without any kind of education and formation. And the prospect of spending another winter in tents is inconceivable to those who are still camped.
The figures provided by the UN speak of one million 300 thousand Syrians who have taken refuge in the Hashemite Kingdom. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2013)
- 2014-04-14 - The director of Caritas: among the refugees, the number of Christians increases
- 2014-03-29 - ASIA/JORDAN – The parish of Zarqa is the first to acquire a "solar energy system"
- 2014-02-27 - Tension with Israel over Holy Places, Archbishop Lahham: enough defiant acts
- 2013-12-12 - The Syrian refugees in the grip of cold weather and snow
- 2013-11-22 - Minister of Tourism to the Heads of Churches: promote pilgrimages to the Holy Places
- 2013-11-09 - The Director of Caritas: the refugee camp in Zaatari will become a "provisional city"
- 2013-11-06 - The Jesuits: online courses for refugees
- 2013-11-04 - Don Orione Opera opens a Centre for Syrian refugees
- 2013-10-30 - The leaders of Catholic schools: with the "Arab springs" negative impact on freedom of education
- 2013-10-24 - Patriarch Twal opens the Conference on the role of women in the Middle East