ASIA/JORDAN - The Director of Caritas: the refugee camp in Zaatari will become a "provisional city"
Amman (Agenzia Fides) - The biggest refugee camp hosting Syrian refugees, displaced in the Jordanian desert, is about to become a "temporary city". This is confirmed to Fides Agency by Wael Suleiman, Director of Caritas Jordan. "With 130 thousand people in the camp, for a period that could last years, the UN leaders and the Jordanian government believe that its transformation into a city was the only possible choice. Therefore we will have a new city in the al-Zaatari desert. The work to bring water, electricity and services have already begun".
Overcrowding in Zaatari is one of the factors that continue to cause sufferings to the daily life of the camp residents. Abuse and violence, especially towards women, are on the agenda. The boys are growing up without any kind of education and formation. And the prospect of spending another winter in tents is inconceivable to those who are still camped.
The figures provided by the UN speak of one million 300 thousand Syrians who have taken refuge in the Hashemite Kingdom. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2013)
- 2014-10-20 - Archbishop Laham: 4 thousand displaced Iraqi Christians all want to emigrate to the West
- 2014-09-25 - King Abdallah II to the UN: Christians are a "constitutive" part of the Middle East
- 2014-09-17 - King Abdullah II: we will do our best to increase the presence of Arab Christians
- 2014-08-22 - Caritas Jordan welcomes Iraqi Christians put to flight by the jihadists of the Islamic State (IS)
- 2014-06-26 - Caritas distributes aid to poor Muslim families before the start of Ramadan
- 2014-06-24 - A thousand children born in the refugee camp in Zaatari. The director of Caritas: we give them a future
- 2014-05-21 - Syrian refugees await Pope Francis. The director of Caritas Jordan: they hope that the world will remember them
- 2014-05-19 - 1,400 children to receive first communion at Pope-led mass at the Amman Stadium
- 2014-05-15 - The relatives of the martyr, Archbishop Rahho write to the Pope on the eve of his pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 2014-05-03 - A special prayer for the Pope's pilgrimage to the Holy Land