AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - Pastoral workers, social animators, teachers and researchers are called to be in the "front line" for the serious phenomenon of human trafficking: With this goal, the Episcopal Commission for "Charity, Justice and Peace", in the Bishops’ Conference of Brazil (CNBB) has launched a working group specifically dedicated to this problem, which has strong implications even at a pastoral level. In a process of discernment and development of appropriate strategies, the Commission organized a seminar entitled "The role of the Church and society in the fight against human trafficking" which ends today, November 9, in Brasilia. As reported in a note sent to Fides, the aim of the Seminar was to form "multiplier agents" and educators who will have to work during the "Fraternity Campaign" next year, which will be devoted entirely to the issue. The theme will be, in fact, "Fraternity and human trafficking" under the slogan: "For freedom Christ has set us free" (Gal 5:1).
The Campaign consists of raising awareness, formation and prayer, organized at all levels in the Brazilian Church, in order to better understand the phenomenon of human trafficking, its causes and roots, and to prepare for "pastoral agents" that are to be antennas in communities engaged in this fight. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/11/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"
- 2014-09-02 - Bishops’ Conference promotes television debate between candidates for Presidency
- 2014-08-22 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – The "Ecumenism and the Missions" Symposium begins
- 2014-07-23 - Mission to relieve: a challenge for evangelization; the Missionary Campaign 2014 begins
- 2014-07-18 - The first "National Catholic Congress online" for those working in the field of evangelization
- 2014-07-16 - A photo exhibition on the 33 years of fighting for the rights of indigenous peoples arrives in Manaus
- 2014-07-04 - "Immediate answers concerning the issue of immigrants are urgently needed"