AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - A stampede that left at least 28 people dead was caused by a false alarm raised by someone not yet identified (and another 200 were hospitalized) in the Holy Ghost Adoration Center in Uke, in the State of Anambra (Nigeria). This was stated by His Exc. Mgr. Valerian Okeke, Bishop of Onitsha to Catholic News Service (CNS). "My heart goes to the families, relatives and friends of those who lost their lives", said the Bishop. The faithful were attending a vigil that was held on the night between 2 and 3 November .
According to another reconstruction shortly before the tragedy some local politicians went to the place of worship to address an election appeal to the faithful, raising protests among those present. Suddenly someone launched the alarm of a non-existent fire causing the stampede of about 5,000 people present.
After the tragedy in Uke, the chapter of the south- east of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN, the association that gathers the Christian denominations in Nigeria, including the Catholic Church) has decided to ban the holding of political meetings in churches. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"