AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - A stampede that left at least 28 people dead was caused by a false alarm raised by someone not yet identified (and another 200 were hospitalized) in the Holy Ghost Adoration Center in Uke, in the State of Anambra (Nigeria). This was stated by His Exc. Mgr. Valerian Okeke, Bishop of Onitsha to Catholic News Service (CNS). "My heart goes to the families, relatives and friends of those who lost their lives", said the Bishop. The faithful were attending a vigil that was held on the night between 2 and 3 November .
According to another reconstruction shortly before the tragedy some local politicians went to the place of worship to address an election appeal to the faithful, raising protests among those present. Suddenly someone launched the alarm of a non-existent fire causing the stampede of about 5,000 people present.
After the tragedy in Uke, the chapter of the south- east of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN, the association that gathers the Christian denominations in Nigeria, including the Catholic Church) has decided to ban the holding of political meetings in churches. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2015-04-14 - Mgr. Kaigama: "It is worrying that we do not know anything about the Chibok girls one year after their kidnapping"
- 2015-04-14 - The Bishops in Ibadan: "We are concerned about the violation regarding the sanctity of life"
- 2015-04-08 - "Do not give in to the temptation of revenge", says the Bishop of Maiduguri to the displaced persons who have returned to their destroyed homes
- 2015-04-01 - Muhammadu Buhari elected President; Bishops invite to respect the result
- 2015-03-30 - "Boko Haram failed to prevent the holding of elections", says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-03-28 - Caritas: "There is hope of allowing refugees to return to their homes, but destruction is enormous"
- 2015-03-27 - On the eve of the vote 90% of the areas freed from Boko Haram; "Why was it not done before?"
- 2015-03-25 - "Elections can be held in Maiduguri" says the Bishop
- 2015-03-23 - Cardinal Onaiyekan: "We need a change in policy, people are tired"
- 2015-03-18 - No trace of the schoolgirls abducted in areas reconquered by the army