AFRICA/EGYPT - "Hard Times": Pope Tawadros renounces to celebrate the anniversary of his inauguration
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - Pope Tawadros II canceled the celebrations planned to mark the first anniversary of his inauguration as the Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church. The anniversary falls on November 18. The renunciation of the celebrations was justified due to the difficult condition experienced by the Coptic Church and the whole of Egypt, in this troubled period in their history. According to Egyptian sources consulted by Fides, Pope Tawadros said that he will recite the liturgical prayers of that day, asking God to grant times of peace and prosperity to Egypt and its people.
In the first year of Pope Tawadros’ Patriarchate, about 100 Egyptian churches - including the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo - have suffered attacks and devastation. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West