AFRICA/EGYPT - "Hard Times": Pope Tawadros renounces to celebrate the anniversary of his inauguration
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - Pope Tawadros II canceled the celebrations planned to mark the first anniversary of his inauguration as the Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church. The anniversary falls on November 18. The renunciation of the celebrations was justified due to the difficult condition experienced by the Coptic Church and the whole of Egypt, in this troubled period in their history. According to Egyptian sources consulted by Fides, Pope Tawadros said that he will recite the liturgical prayers of that day, asking God to grant times of peace and prosperity to Egypt and its people.
In the first year of Pope Tawadros’ Patriarchate, about 100 Egyptian churches - including the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo - have suffered attacks and devastation. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied