AFRICA/EGYPT - "Hard Times": Pope Tawadros renounces to celebrate the anniversary of his inauguration
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - Pope Tawadros II canceled the celebrations planned to mark the first anniversary of his inauguration as the Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church. The anniversary falls on November 18. The renunciation of the celebrations was justified due to the difficult condition experienced by the Coptic Church and the whole of Egypt, in this troubled period in their history. According to Egyptian sources consulted by Fides, Pope Tawadros said that he will recite the liturgical prayers of that day, asking God to grant times of peace and prosperity to Egypt and its people.
In the first year of Pope Tawadros’ Patriarchate, about 100 Egyptian churches - including the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Cairo - have suffered attacks and devastation. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake