AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
La Vega (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of La Vega, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Camilo Gonzalez, has launched an appeal to priests, deacons, and representatives of various sectors of pastoral care in defense and the preservation of the national natural heritage, represented by the beautiful area of Loma Miranda. In a statement of the diocese also sent to Fides Agency, the Bishop says that this area is a source of life created by God for humanity, and calls the Senate to declare it a national park in order to prevent its destruction. In the same statement he calls on the Dominican people to participate in the vigil organized for Saturday, November 16 in the Cathedral yard of La Vega, to continue to show total rejection towards the mining of Falcondo Xstrata Niquel, one of the largest mining companies in the Dominican Republic, with offices in Toronto (Canada), dedicated to the production of iron-nickel in the area of Loma Miranda.
Yesterday, November 6, a protest march had already been held against the mining plans of this company. Hundreds of people, carrying crosses, had marched for 20 km along the Duarte highway, blocking the movement of cars, from the city of La Vega up to Loma Miranda. The protesters also carried symbolic crucifixions and lit bonfires to draw the authorities' attention.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that the protest was led by Father Rogelio Cruz, who said that those who oppose to mining will not be discouraged in their struggle until the Executive power decides to stop the project, declaring the area a protected national park. Father Rogelio Cruz also said: "The destruction of this valuable natural resource has to be avoided in order to ensure the survival of present and future generations of the Dominican Republic". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2014-02-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC- Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - At least 850 suspected cases of dengue in the north of the Country