AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
La Vega (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of La Vega, His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Camilo Gonzalez, has launched an appeal to priests, deacons, and representatives of various sectors of pastoral care in defense and the preservation of the national natural heritage, represented by the beautiful area of Loma Miranda. In a statement of the diocese also sent to Fides Agency, the Bishop says that this area is a source of life created by God for humanity, and calls the Senate to declare it a national park in order to prevent its destruction. In the same statement he calls on the Dominican people to participate in the vigil organized for Saturday, November 16 in the Cathedral yard of La Vega, to continue to show total rejection towards the mining of Falcondo Xstrata Niquel, one of the largest mining companies in the Dominican Republic, with offices in Toronto (Canada), dedicated to the production of iron-nickel in the area of Loma Miranda.
Yesterday, November 6, a protest march had already been held against the mining plans of this company. Hundreds of people, carrying crosses, had marched for 20 km along the Duarte highway, blocking the movement of cars, from the city of La Vega up to Loma Miranda. The protesters also carried symbolic crucifixions and lit bonfires to draw the authorities' attention.
The note sent to Fides Agency reports that the protest was led by Father Rogelio Cruz, who said that those who oppose to mining will not be discouraged in their struggle until the Executive power decides to stop the project, declaring the area a protected national park. Father Rogelio Cruz also said: "The destruction of this valuable natural resource has to be avoided in order to ensure the survival of present and future generations of the Dominican Republic". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/11/2013)
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,
- 2014-10-03 - "A people on a mission, sensitive towards solidarity": the National Assembly of Pastoral care is underway
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country
- 2014-07-22 - Although some people promote hate, the Church is committed to peaceful coexistence
- 2014-07-07 - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2014-07-01 - Still difficulty for many undocumented Haitians
- 2014-06-10 - A motorway to unite the country ... even the Church is moving
- 2014-05-27 - Emergency for public hospitals in the Country
- 2014-05-13 - The number of working children, deprived of education and health care, continues to increase