ASIA/HOLY LAND - Patriarch Twal: Israeli demolitions sabotage peace
Jerusalem ( Agenzia Fides) - "There is no justification for the demolition, but when the municipality and the Israeli government enact demolitions and displace people from their homes, these practices increase hatred and endanger the future of peace". With these words, the Patriarchal Vicar of Jerusalem Fouad Twal condemned the recent demolition of a house built on a property of the Latin Patriarchate carried out by the Bulldozers of the Jerusalem Municipality, accompanied by Israeli Security forces. The Patriarch’s statement came during his visit to inspect the demolished home on Tuesday afternoon, November 5th. The Patriarch was also in the company of Bishops William Shomali and Giacinto Boulos Marcuzzo, together with a group of priests and lawyers of the Latin Patriarchate and several consuls of foreign countries, including those of Italy and Belgium.
The demolished property is near the checkpoint that separates Jerusalem from Bethlehem, and belonged to the Latin Patriarchate long before 1967. The legal tenants of the property, Mr. Salameh Abu Tarbush and his family, composed of 14 members, were taken by surprise by the demolition at five in the morning. "We are the rightful/lawful owners", added Patriarch Twal "and you will hear our voice before all governments worldwide, and we will take legal action in appropriate courts to rectify this injustice, to bring back justice and rebuild this home".
The Red Cross is providing the family with tents and assistance. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/11/2013)
- 2014-07-29 - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community
- 2014-07-17 - Gaza, three missiles close to the Catholic parish. Scuffle to look for food during the "humanitarian truce"
- 2014-07-15 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Gaza, proposal of truce. The director of Caritas Jerusalem: it is urgent to intervene immediately to assist victims
- 2014-07-10 - Third day of raids on Gaza. Caritas Jerusalem: security is not achieved by killing innocent children
- 2014-07-09 - Escalation in Gaza. Justice and Peace: "collective punishment" is inflicted on the Palestinian people
- 2014-07-04 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: there is also a political use of the drug market in the Holy City
- 2014-07-02 - A young Palestinian kidnapped and killed. Patriarch Twal: Stop human sacrifice