ASIA/HOLY LAND - Patriarch Twal: Israeli demolitions sabotage peace
Jerusalem ( Agenzia Fides) - "There is no justification for the demolition, but when the municipality and the Israeli government enact demolitions and displace people from their homes, these practices increase hatred and endanger the future of peace". With these words, the Patriarchal Vicar of Jerusalem Fouad Twal condemned the recent demolition of a house built on a property of the Latin Patriarchate carried out by the Bulldozers of the Jerusalem Municipality, accompanied by Israeli Security forces. The Patriarch’s statement came during his visit to inspect the demolished home on Tuesday afternoon, November 5th. The Patriarch was also in the company of Bishops William Shomali and Giacinto Boulos Marcuzzo, together with a group of priests and lawyers of the Latin Patriarchate and several consuls of foreign countries, including those of Italy and Belgium.
The demolished property is near the checkpoint that separates Jerusalem from Bethlehem, and belonged to the Latin Patriarchate long before 1967. The legal tenants of the property, Mr. Salameh Abu Tarbush and his family, composed of 14 members, were taken by surprise by the demolition at five in the morning. "We are the rightful/lawful owners", added Patriarch Twal "and you will hear our voice before all governments worldwide, and we will take legal action in appropriate courts to rectify this injustice, to bring back justice and rebuild this home".
The Red Cross is providing the family with tents and assistance. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/11/2013)
- 2015-03-23 - Palestinian President invited to the canonization on 17 May
- 2015-03-12 - The Catholic Bishops: necessity to rebuild Gaza, support schools, help refugees and immigrants
- 2015-03-09 - Liturgy at the Holy Sepulchre to commemorate the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-02-26 - Arson attack against the Orthodox Theological Seminary in Jerusalem
- 2015-02-12 - Palestinian Mayors: the Wall in the Cremisan Valley will suffocate the presence of Christians
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year