ASIA/HOLY LAND - Patriarch Twal: Israeli demolitions sabotage peace
Jerusalem ( Agenzia Fides) - "There is no justification for the demolition, but when the municipality and the Israeli government enact demolitions and displace people from their homes, these practices increase hatred and endanger the future of peace". With these words, the Patriarchal Vicar of Jerusalem Fouad Twal condemned the recent demolition of a house built on a property of the Latin Patriarchate carried out by the Bulldozers of the Jerusalem Municipality, accompanied by Israeli Security forces. The Patriarch’s statement came during his visit to inspect the demolished home on Tuesday afternoon, November 5th. The Patriarch was also in the company of Bishops William Shomali and Giacinto Boulos Marcuzzo, together with a group of priests and lawyers of the Latin Patriarchate and several consuls of foreign countries, including those of Italy and Belgium.
The demolished property is near the checkpoint that separates Jerusalem from Bethlehem, and belonged to the Latin Patriarchate long before 1967. The legal tenants of the property, Mr. Salameh Abu Tarbush and his family, composed of 14 members, were taken by surprise by the demolition at five in the morning. "We are the rightful/lawful owners", added Patriarch Twal "and you will hear our voice before all governments worldwide, and we will take legal action in appropriate courts to rectify this injustice, to bring back justice and rebuild this home".
The Red Cross is providing the family with tents and assistance. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 06/11/2013)
- 2015-10-08 - Child malnutrition in Gaza: Caritas Jerusalem intervenes
- 2015-10-07 - The Latin Patriarchate: Israel and Palestine have to restart the negotiations
- 2015-10-02 - Prince Hassan of Jordan: "human safekeeping" for Christians in the Middle East is needed
- 2015-10-01 - Monastery of Bethlehem set on fire, Palestinian President calls the Maronite Patriarch
- 2015-09-30 - Fire at the Maronite monastery of Bethlehem: there is fear of retaliation for personal reasons
- 2015-09-21 - The Heads of Churches in Jerusalem condemn the violence at the Temple Mount
- 2015-09-18 - The European Bishops: a "proper solution" is needed for the Cremisan case
- 2015-09-04 - "The last nail in Bethlehem’s coffin": A dossier on the Cremisan wall
- 2015-08-29 - A year after the last war, the kindergarten of the Latin parish in Gaza has been renovated
- 2015-08-27 - Christian schools: "positive" meeting with President Rivlin. But the crisis remains open