AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
Xalapa (Agenzia Fides) - Every year the number of children or young indigenous people who continue to speak their native language decreases due to the fear of being marginalized. According to a research carried out by the Faculty of Anthropology at the University of Veracruz (UV), this phenomenon reflects the lack of integration of indigenous peoples during the process of formation, development and growth of Mexico. The colonial society was divided into castes, and the mere fact that there were Creoles, Spaniards and mestizos, prevented integration. As a result it was not possible to create a society in which everyone had the same rights. Once the Mexican State was founded, legally castes no longer exist and all are Mexican citizens with the same rights. But in practice it is different, because for 200 years the challenge for the integration of indigenous peoples continues to be ever present. It is a historical process that does not depend on personal or political, revolutionary or institutional will. It is a process of indigenous societies that want, need the right to integrate into the national society and cannot remain marginalized. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"