AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
Xalapa (Agenzia Fides) - Every year the number of children or young indigenous people who continue to speak their native language decreases due to the fear of being marginalized. According to a research carried out by the Faculty of Anthropology at the University of Veracruz (UV), this phenomenon reflects the lack of integration of indigenous peoples during the process of formation, development and growth of Mexico. The colonial society was divided into castes, and the mere fact that there were Creoles, Spaniards and mestizos, prevented integration. As a result it was not possible to create a society in which everyone had the same rights. Once the Mexican State was founded, legally castes no longer exist and all are Mexican citizens with the same rights. But in practice it is different, because for 200 years the challenge for the integration of indigenous peoples continues to be ever present. It is a historical process that does not depend on personal or political, revolutionary or institutional will. It is a process of indigenous societies that want, need the right to integrate into the national society and cannot remain marginalized. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration