AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
Xalapa (Agenzia Fides) - Every year the number of children or young indigenous people who continue to speak their native language decreases due to the fear of being marginalized. According to a research carried out by the Faculty of Anthropology at the University of Veracruz (UV), this phenomenon reflects the lack of integration of indigenous peoples during the process of formation, development and growth of Mexico. The colonial society was divided into castes, and the mere fact that there were Creoles, Spaniards and mestizos, prevented integration. As a result it was not possible to create a society in which everyone had the same rights. Once the Mexican State was founded, legally castes no longer exist and all are Mexican citizens with the same rights. But in practice it is different, because for 200 years the challenge for the integration of indigenous peoples continues to be ever present. It is a historical process that does not depend on personal or political, revolutionary or institutional will. It is a process of indigenous societies that want, need the right to integrate into the national society and cannot remain marginalized. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement