AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
Xalapa (Agenzia Fides) - Every year the number of children or young indigenous people who continue to speak their native language decreases due to the fear of being marginalized. According to a research carried out by the Faculty of Anthropology at the University of Veracruz (UV), this phenomenon reflects the lack of integration of indigenous peoples during the process of formation, development and growth of Mexico. The colonial society was divided into castes, and the mere fact that there were Creoles, Spaniards and mestizos, prevented integration. As a result it was not possible to create a society in which everyone had the same rights. Once the Mexican State was founded, legally castes no longer exist and all are Mexican citizens with the same rights. But in practice it is different, because for 200 years the challenge for the integration of indigenous peoples continues to be ever present. It is a historical process that does not depend on personal or political, revolutionary or institutional will. It is a process of indigenous societies that want, need the right to integrate into the national society and cannot remain marginalized. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"