AMERICA/MEXICO - Children do not want to speak indigenous languages for fear of discrimination
Xalapa (Agenzia Fides) - Every year the number of children or young indigenous people who continue to speak their native language decreases due to the fear of being marginalized. According to a research carried out by the Faculty of Anthropology at the University of Veracruz (UV), this phenomenon reflects the lack of integration of indigenous peoples during the process of formation, development and growth of Mexico. The colonial society was divided into castes, and the mere fact that there were Creoles, Spaniards and mestizos, prevented integration. As a result it was not possible to create a society in which everyone had the same rights. Once the Mexican State was founded, legally castes no longer exist and all are Mexican citizens with the same rights. But in practice it is different, because for 200 years the challenge for the integration of indigenous peoples continues to be ever present. It is a historical process that does not depend on personal or political, revolutionary or institutional will. It is a process of indigenous societies that want, need the right to integrate into the national society and cannot remain marginalized. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children