OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church looks into the future: from the General Assembly a new pastoral plan
Madang (Agenzia Fides) - The General Assembly of the Church of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands opens today, November 5, in Madang (Papua New Guinea). As reported to Fides by the communications Office of the Episcopal Conference, the Assembly, until November 11, has the theme "Give me the water of life", referring to the Gospel of the Samaritan woman (John 4), and has the task of elaborating a new five-year pastoral plan. Representatives of the 19 dioceses of Papua New Guinea and three dioceses from the Solomon are attending the Assembly. To offer a more diverse representation of the face of the Church, each diocese has sent 6 participants: a bishop, a priest, a layman and three women, including a nun and a young person, for a total of about 130 participants.
As reported to Fides by Fr. Roger Purcell MSC, coordinator of the event, "the Assembly will be a moment of prayer and reflection, listening and discussion. It will focus on the key issues of the Year of Faith, the Church as 'communion', on issues such as evangelization, inculturation, justice and pastoral planning".
"The Assembly - he continues – will give directions for the future of our Church, called to be a people centered on Christ and to proclaim the Good News to the world. Our goal is for it to be an experience of faith, community and commitment. Like the Samaritan woman, we ask Jesus the water of life in order to strengthen us. We are preparing for a new era of evangelization, just as she ran to the village to tell people she had met Jesus".
From the Assembly the "Five-Year Pastoral Plan" of the Episcopal Conference of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands will be formulated. The plan will be presented to the Bishops during their general meeting in May, 2014, for final approval, and will then be delivered to the individual dioceses. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA
- 2015-02-03 - The Bishops: "safe and humane conditions for refugees"
- 2015-01-19 - Bishops' Pastoral Plan: "Go and tell everyone"
- 2015-01-15 - Twenty years with Blessed Peter ToRot, an example for every Christian
- 2014-12-18 - The Bishop of Alotau’s appeal for the population
- 2014-10-03 - The President of Bishops: "Family in Melanesia is an intense network of relationships"
- 2014-07-01 - Political crisis: Bishops’ appeal for the common good
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Madang: "Church and State united against domestic violence"
- 2014-05-22 - Open Letter of the Bishops to politicians: "Let us protect life together for the common good"
- 2014-05-13 - A priest and a lay extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist have been killed
- 2014-04-24 - Pilgrimage on foot for the 80th anniversary of evangelization in the highlands of Papua