OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church looks into the future: from the General Assembly a new pastoral plan
Madang (Agenzia Fides) - The General Assembly of the Church of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands opens today, November 5, in Madang (Papua New Guinea). As reported to Fides by the communications Office of the Episcopal Conference, the Assembly, until November 11, has the theme "Give me the water of life", referring to the Gospel of the Samaritan woman (John 4), and has the task of elaborating a new five-year pastoral plan. Representatives of the 19 dioceses of Papua New Guinea and three dioceses from the Solomon are attending the Assembly. To offer a more diverse representation of the face of the Church, each diocese has sent 6 participants: a bishop, a priest, a layman and three women, including a nun and a young person, for a total of about 130 participants.
As reported to Fides by Fr. Roger Purcell MSC, coordinator of the event, "the Assembly will be a moment of prayer and reflection, listening and discussion. It will focus on the key issues of the Year of Faith, the Church as 'communion', on issues such as evangelization, inculturation, justice and pastoral planning".
"The Assembly - he continues – will give directions for the future of our Church, called to be a people centered on Christ and to proclaim the Good News to the world. Our goal is for it to be an experience of faith, community and commitment. Like the Samaritan woman, we ask Jesus the water of life in order to strengthen us. We are preparing for a new era of evangelization, just as she ran to the village to tell people she had met Jesus".
From the Assembly the "Five-Year Pastoral Plan" of the Episcopal Conference of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands will be formulated. The plan will be presented to the Bishops during their general meeting in May, 2014, for final approval, and will then be delivered to the individual dioceses. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 05/11/2013)
- 2014-03-01 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishops: urgent “truly humane” response to question of refugees
- 2014-02-03 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - UN Coordinator in Papua: "Additional reflection is needed with regards to death penalty"
- 2014-01-31 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Archbishop Young: concern for the 13 prisoners that will be executed
- 2014-01-30 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church: population growth is not a nightmare
- 2014-01-28 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA – Does Papua New Guinea want notoriety thanks to the death penalty?
- 2014-01-23 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - On the feast of St. Francis de Sales, the Church reflects on witchcraft
- 2014-01-02 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Fight against witchcraft: the vital contribution of Churches
- 2013-12-19 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - A nun at the service of the illiterate and people with AIDS
- 2013-11-29 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - The Church in the Pacific wants to be more present in the media
- 2013-11-18 OCEANIA/PAPUA NEW GUINEA - Bishop Rolando Santos: "The light of faith to enlighten the lives of families"