ASIA/SYRIA - Chief of the Lebanese Security: the two bishops kidnapped have been localized
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The place where the two kidnapped bishops of Aleppo seem to be has been identified, and "indirect contact" has begun with the kidnappers in order to obtain their release. This was declared by General Abbas Ibrahim, head of the Lebanese General Security, who also confirmed some of his previous statements on the complexity of the case involving the two kidnapped bishops.
General Ibrahim’s revelations are given in a statement issued on Tuesday, October 29 from the Lebanese General Security and sent to Fides Agency. "About a month ago", explained the general , "I contacted a person who told me where the bishops Boulos al-Yazigi and Yohanna Ibrahim were, and on this basis I started the negotiations". "We - added the senior officer of the Lebanese security apparatus - are now indirectly in contact with the kidnappers, and this is an important development that we will use as a starting point to get the results we hoped for ".
The two metropolitan bishops of Aleppo - the Greek Orthodox Boulos al-Yazigi and the Syrian Orthodox Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim - were kidnapped on April 22 in the area between the Syrian metropolis and the border with Turkey. Since then, no group had claimed responsibility for the kidnapping. Last week, during talks held in Doha with Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai and General Ibrahim, the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani had promised to do everything possible to facilitate the release of the two bishops. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - A missile on an Armenian Catholic school: a child killed, 61 injured
- 2014-04-15 - Churches devastated and icons desecrated in Maalula
- 2014-04-14 - The government army regains control of the city of Maalula
- 2014-04-08 - "Difficult times will come". After the assassination of Father Van der Lugt, Christians continue to pray and reflect on martyrdom
- 2014-04-07 - A Jesuit Killed in Homs
- 2014-03-28 - Missile on an Armenian church in Aleppo during Mass
- 2014-03-25 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch: the Christians who fled from Kessab have to deal with the emergency with a spirit of communion
- 2014-03-17 - Bishop Audo: war devastates the hearts; and the work of Caritas opens new fronts
- 2014-03-14 - Archbishop Nassar: signs of hope in our Lent spent in war
- 2014-03-12 - ASIA/SYRIA – In Aleppo, the Order of Malta inaugurates three new mobile clinics for refugees