ASIA/SYRIA - Chief of the Lebanese Security: the two bishops kidnapped have been localized
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The place where the two kidnapped bishops of Aleppo seem to be has been identified, and "indirect contact" has begun with the kidnappers in order to obtain their release. This was declared by General Abbas Ibrahim, head of the Lebanese General Security, who also confirmed some of his previous statements on the complexity of the case involving the two kidnapped bishops.
General Ibrahim’s revelations are given in a statement issued on Tuesday, October 29 from the Lebanese General Security and sent to Fides Agency. "About a month ago", explained the general , "I contacted a person who told me where the bishops Boulos al-Yazigi and Yohanna Ibrahim were, and on this basis I started the negotiations". "We - added the senior officer of the Lebanese security apparatus - are now indirectly in contact with the kidnappers, and this is an important development that we will use as a starting point to get the results we hoped for ".
The two metropolitan bishops of Aleppo - the Greek Orthodox Boulos al-Yazigi and the Syrian Orthodox Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim - were kidnapped on April 22 in the area between the Syrian metropolis and the border with Turkey. Since then, no group had claimed responsibility for the kidnapping. Last week, during talks held in Doha with Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai and General Ibrahim, the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani had promised to do everything possible to facilitate the release of the two bishops. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2013)
- 2013-12-09 ASIA/SYRIA - The monastic Community in Deir Mar Musa works for reconciliation
- 2013-12-07 ASIA/SYRIA - The nuns of Maalula, the Lebanese security chief in Qatar to try and find a solution
- 2013-12-05 ASIA/SYRIA - Conflicting statements on the issue of the Sisters of Maalula
- 2013-12-03 ASIA/SYRIA - Patriarch Gregory III: "True martyrs in Maalula"
- 2013-12-02 ASIA/SYRIA - Maalula again occupied by the rebels
- 2013-11-28 ASIA/SYRIA - A parish priest: "The exodus of civil Christians from Qara, invaded by foreign jihadists"
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SYRIA - Pax Christi International: Europe must not close its doors to Syrian refugees
- 2013-11-25 ASIA/SYRIA - The village of Deir Atieh invaded by Islamists: Christians identified and detained
- 2013-11-23 ASIA/SYRIA - Birth of the Islamic Front. Patriarch Gregorios III: they certainly do not fight for democracy
- 2013-11-20 ASIA/SYRIA - The army arrest two Christian activists of the Assyrian Democratic Organization