ASIA/SYRIA - Chief of the Lebanese Security: the two bishops kidnapped have been localized
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The place where the two kidnapped bishops of Aleppo seem to be has been identified, and "indirect contact" has begun with the kidnappers in order to obtain their release. This was declared by General Abbas Ibrahim, head of the Lebanese General Security, who also confirmed some of his previous statements on the complexity of the case involving the two kidnapped bishops.
General Ibrahim’s revelations are given in a statement issued on Tuesday, October 29 from the Lebanese General Security and sent to Fides Agency. "About a month ago", explained the general , "I contacted a person who told me where the bishops Boulos al-Yazigi and Yohanna Ibrahim were, and on this basis I started the negotiations". "We - added the senior officer of the Lebanese security apparatus - are now indirectly in contact with the kidnappers, and this is an important development that we will use as a starting point to get the results we hoped for ".
The two metropolitan bishops of Aleppo - the Greek Orthodox Boulos al-Yazigi and the Syrian Orthodox Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim - were kidnapped on April 22 in the area between the Syrian metropolis and the border with Turkey. Since then, no group had claimed responsibility for the kidnapping. Last week, during talks held in Doha with Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai and General Ibrahim, the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani had promised to do everything possible to facilitate the release of the two bishops. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2013)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"