ASIA/SYRIA - Chief of the Lebanese Security: the two bishops kidnapped have been localized
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The place where the two kidnapped bishops of Aleppo seem to be has been identified, and "indirect contact" has begun with the kidnappers in order to obtain their release. This was declared by General Abbas Ibrahim, head of the Lebanese General Security, who also confirmed some of his previous statements on the complexity of the case involving the two kidnapped bishops.
General Ibrahim’s revelations are given in a statement issued on Tuesday, October 29 from the Lebanese General Security and sent to Fides Agency. "About a month ago", explained the general , "I contacted a person who told me where the bishops Boulos al-Yazigi and Yohanna Ibrahim were, and on this basis I started the negotiations". "We - added the senior officer of the Lebanese security apparatus - are now indirectly in contact with the kidnappers, and this is an important development that we will use as a starting point to get the results we hoped for ".
The two metropolitan bishops of Aleppo - the Greek Orthodox Boulos al-Yazigi and the Syrian Orthodox Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim - were kidnapped on April 22 in the area between the Syrian metropolis and the border with Turkey. Since then, no group had claimed responsibility for the kidnapping. Last week, during talks held in Doha with Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai and General Ibrahim, the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani had promised to do everything possible to facilitate the release of the two bishops. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus
- 2015-06-12 - President Assad meets the Patriarch and the Synod of Syrian-Orthodox Bishops
- 2015-06-11 - Jihadist militants of al Nusra Front massacre dozens of Druze civilians in Idlib
- 2015-06-09 - The five Patriarchs of Antioch in Damascus: no to the disintegration of Syria
- 2015-06-01 - Muslim leaders for the release of father Murad, but the kidnappers are foreign to the social fabric
- 2015-05-30 - Bishop of Aleppo: unreliable rumors on a jihadist beheaded by an Assyrian soldier. Christians never justify revenge with religious issues