ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Bishop of Mongolia: "Thanks for the missionary commitment of the Korean Church"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) – Aid and missionary cooperation guaranteed by the Korean Church have been and still are crucial for the growth and progress of the small Church in Mongolia: this is what Bishop Wenceslao Padilla, Apostolic Prefect of Ulaanbaatar said during his visit to the Archdiocese of Seoul. As reported to Fides by the communications ofiice of the local Church, the Bishop sensitized parishes and Korean associations, launching a fundraising campaign to support Catholic schools in Mongolia.
Bishop Padilla, who has been carrying out his missionary work in Mongolia since 1992, said: "When I arrived in Mongolia, 21 years ago, there was no church and no Catholic. We have faced many challenges, from financial problems, to the cultural differences and language difficulties.
We were in a context in which the Christian religion was totally new and the most popular belief was Tibetan Buddhism . "In twenty years the Church has grown and has taken root, the Mongolian Church is small but lively and dynamic: "Today there is great hope for the flowering of the Christian faith in Mongolia thanks to the cooperation of the local population but also to the work of missionaries and sister churches", such as the Korean Church, which has sent over the years, said the Bishop, "financial support and missionaries".
Since 2004, the Church in Mongolia has received financial support from Korean ecclesial associations such as the "One Body One Spirit Movement", from a Missionary Foundation and the "Catholic Medical Center" of the Archdiocese of Seoul. The areas of cooperation are especially education and health. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 30/10/2013)
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Catholic Bishops: for 2014 “a Church with a warm heart”
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
- 2014-02-10 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
- 2014-02-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
- 2014-02-04 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
- 2014-02-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
- 2014-01-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Newly appointed Cardinal Yeom Soo-jung visits the homeless
- 2014-01-15 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Archbishop Yeom Soo- jung: "A call to the evangelization of China and North Korea"
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pastoral Letter of the Archbishop of Seoul: A new year for the new evangelization
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Controversy between a priest and the Korean President: the Archbishop of Seoul invites priests not to get involved in politics