AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church also involved in the wave of violence: other priests threatened
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The wave of violence in Mexico does not stop and even the priests have been victims of attempted extortion on behalf of criminal gangs. At least three priests have been contacted by criminals, who told them that they had kidnapped a relative or threatened them if they did not deliver sums of money. Such incidents were reported by the Bishop of Aguascalientes (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin.
However, these are not isolated incidents, since in many regions of the country there have been similar cases, such as in the states of Jalisco, Colima, Puebla, Veracruz, Chihuahua, Zacatecas, Sonora, Mexico and others. In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. De la Torre Martin informs that the priests involved have, however, ignored the threats and have turned to the authorities for protection. The Bishop also points out that the Church lives the problems of the country and is involved in the overwhelming tide of violence and insecurity that has been raging for several years and has made many victims, many of whom are innocent. Mgr. De la Torre Martin also criticized the impunity, which causes distrust in institutions, and believes that the struggle undertaken by the Government against organized crime "will not be easy". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"
- 2014-10-21 - When you do not respect the right of even one person, it jeopardizes the right of all
- 2014-10-21 - 2000 children have been killed or maimed between 2006 and 2014
- 2014-10-15 - "Never accept violence as a solution", warns Mgr. Lona Reyes who proposes a prayer campaign
- 2014-10-14 - Bishops on the Iguala case: "clarify what happened, the truth is the path to justice"
- 2014-10-10 - The tragedy of Iguala and its consequences: a letter from the Archbishop of Acapulco
- 2014-10-09 - Corrupt policemen and climate of mistrust, the Bishop of La Paz denounces the silence of the authorities
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"