AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church also involved in the wave of violence: other priests threatened
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The wave of violence in Mexico does not stop and even the priests have been victims of attempted extortion on behalf of criminal gangs. At least three priests have been contacted by criminals, who told them that they had kidnapped a relative or threatened them if they did not deliver sums of money. Such incidents were reported by the Bishop of Aguascalientes (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin.
However, these are not isolated incidents, since in many regions of the country there have been similar cases, such as in the states of Jalisco, Colima, Puebla, Veracruz, Chihuahua, Zacatecas, Sonora, Mexico and others. In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. De la Torre Martin informs that the priests involved have, however, ignored the threats and have turned to the authorities for protection. The Bishop also points out that the Church lives the problems of the country and is involved in the overwhelming tide of violence and insecurity that has been raging for several years and has made many victims, many of whom are innocent. Mgr. De la Torre Martin also criticized the impunity, which causes distrust in institutions, and believes that the struggle undertaken by the Government against organized crime "will not be easy". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop
- 2014-07-31 - The Bishops: "Family Reunification for immigrant children"
- 2014-07-31 - Major epidemiological control towards the chikungunya virus
- 2014-07-30 - Prisons become "universities of crime": the Church insists on re-education
- 2014-07-28 - Over five thousand people march for peace and for life
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration