AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church also involved in the wave of violence: other priests threatened
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The wave of violence in Mexico does not stop and even the priests have been victims of attempted extortion on behalf of criminal gangs. At least three priests have been contacted by criminals, who told them that they had kidnapped a relative or threatened them if they did not deliver sums of money. Such incidents were reported by the Bishop of Aguascalientes (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin.
However, these are not isolated incidents, since in many regions of the country there have been similar cases, such as in the states of Jalisco, Colima, Puebla, Veracruz, Chihuahua, Zacatecas, Sonora, Mexico and others. In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. De la Torre Martin informs that the priests involved have, however, ignored the threats and have turned to the authorities for protection. The Bishop also points out that the Church lives the problems of the country and is involved in the overwhelming tide of violence and insecurity that has been raging for several years and has made many victims, many of whom are innocent. Mgr. De la Torre Martin also criticized the impunity, which causes distrust in institutions, and believes that the struggle undertaken by the Government against organized crime "will not be easy". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement