AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church also involved in the wave of violence: other priests threatened
Aguascalientes (Agenzia Fides) - The wave of violence in Mexico does not stop and even the priests have been victims of attempted extortion on behalf of criminal gangs. At least three priests have been contacted by criminals, who told them that they had kidnapped a relative or threatened them if they did not deliver sums of money. Such incidents were reported by the Bishop of Aguascalientes (Mexico), His Exc. Mgr. José María de la Torre Martin.
However, these are not isolated incidents, since in many regions of the country there have been similar cases, such as in the states of Jalisco, Colima, Puebla, Veracruz, Chihuahua, Zacatecas, Sonora, Mexico and others. In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. De la Torre Martin informs that the priests involved have, however, ignored the threats and have turned to the authorities for protection. The Bishop also points out that the Church lives the problems of the country and is involved in the overwhelming tide of violence and insecurity that has been raging for several years and has made many victims, many of whom are innocent. Mgr. De la Torre Martin also criticized the impunity, which causes distrust in institutions, and believes that the struggle undertaken by the Government against organized crime "will not be easy". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/10/2013)
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"