AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - As the offensive of the Congolese armed forces (FARDC ) against the guerrillas of the M23 continue in North Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the Coordination of Civil Society in the Congolese province denounces the presence of further mass graves in areas previously occupied by the rebels.
A statement sent to Fides Agency, draws the attention of the Congolese authorities and the international community with regards to the discovery of two mass graves in Kibumba, an area that was under the control of the M23. "We demand the immediate opening of an international investigation to identify the bodies buried there and establish the responsibility for these deaths in the event we are talking about civilians", the statement said.
"This is essential - continues the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society in North Kivu because our organization is convinced that several other mass graves will be discovered in the areas occupied by the rebels, responsible for several massacres and summary executions of civilians in the territories of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/CONGO DR - To improve road communications in view of the national pilgrimage for the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking