AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - As the offensive of the Congolese armed forces (FARDC ) against the guerrillas of the M23 continue in North Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the Coordination of Civil Society in the Congolese province denounces the presence of further mass graves in areas previously occupied by the rebels.
A statement sent to Fides Agency, draws the attention of the Congolese authorities and the international community with regards to the discovery of two mass graves in Kibumba, an area that was under the control of the M23. "We demand the immediate opening of an international investigation to identify the bodies buried there and establish the responsibility for these deaths in the event we are talking about civilians", the statement said.
"This is essential - continues the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society in North Kivu because our organization is convinced that several other mass graves will be discovered in the areas occupied by the rebels, responsible for several massacres and summary executions of civilians in the territories of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali
- 2015-09-17 - Uncontrollable epidemic of measles: 23,000 people infected
- 2015-09-14 - The jihadists hide in the forests of Virunga protected by apparently autonomous local groups
- 2015-09-07 - New massacres committed by jihadists in North Kivu
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging
- 2015-07-13 - New attacks of the Muslim Defense International (MDI) in North Kivu