AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - As the offensive of the Congolese armed forces (FARDC ) against the guerrillas of the M23 continue in North Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the Coordination of Civil Society in the Congolese province denounces the presence of further mass graves in areas previously occupied by the rebels.
A statement sent to Fides Agency, draws the attention of the Congolese authorities and the international community with regards to the discovery of two mass graves in Kibumba, an area that was under the control of the M23. "We demand the immediate opening of an international investigation to identify the bodies buried there and establish the responsibility for these deaths in the event we are talking about civilians", the statement said.
"This is essential - continues the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society in North Kivu because our organization is convinced that several other mass graves will be discovered in the areas occupied by the rebels, responsible for several massacres and summary executions of civilians in the territories of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012
- 2014-06-04 - Congolese expelled from Brazzaville: the two governments form a committee to verify human rights violations