AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - As the offensive of the Congolese armed forces (FARDC ) against the guerrillas of the M23 continue in North Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the Coordination of Civil Society in the Congolese province denounces the presence of further mass graves in areas previously occupied by the rebels.
A statement sent to Fides Agency, draws the attention of the Congolese authorities and the international community with regards to the discovery of two mass graves in Kibumba, an area that was under the control of the M23. "We demand the immediate opening of an international investigation to identify the bodies buried there and establish the responsibility for these deaths in the event we are talking about civilians", the statement said.
"This is essential - continues the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society in North Kivu because our organization is convinced that several other mass graves will be discovered in the areas occupied by the rebels, responsible for several massacres and summary executions of civilians in the territories of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels