AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - As the offensive of the Congolese armed forces (FARDC ) against the guerrillas of the M23 continue in North Kivu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, the Coordination of Civil Society in the Congolese province denounces the presence of further mass graves in areas previously occupied by the rebels.
A statement sent to Fides Agency, draws the attention of the Congolese authorities and the international community with regards to the discovery of two mass graves in Kibumba, an area that was under the control of the M23. "We demand the immediate opening of an international investigation to identify the bodies buried there and establish the responsibility for these deaths in the event we are talking about civilians", the statement said.
"This is essential - continues the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society in North Kivu because our organization is convinced that several other mass graves will be discovered in the areas occupied by the rebels, responsible for several massacres and summary executions of civilians in the territories of Rutshuru and Nyiragongo". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/10/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue