AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of some Christian churches have launched the alarm about religious freedom in Kenya after the killing of two evangelical pastors without reason in Kilifi and Mombasa, reports the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi.
On October 21, a group of evangelical Christian leaders issued a statement in which they condemn the killing of the two pastors and call on the government to defend the constitutional rights of public meeting and worship. "The Mombasa Church Forum categorically states that any attack on Christians will not prevent us from exercising our right to our freedom of worship and religion. To those who have committed these heinous attacks, we say that we are not intimidated and will continue to pray to the Lord in our churches", the statement said.
On October 20, Charles Matole, one of the leaders of the Vikwatani Redeemed Gospel Church was found dead in his church in Mombasa. The man had gunshot wounds. On October 19, in a forest in Kilifi, 60 km from Mombasa, the body of Ebrahim Kidata of the East African Pentecostal Churches had been discovered.
According to current hypothesis the two murders seem to be an act of retaliation for the killing of an Islamic preacher on 4 October in Mombasa, which had triggered accidents in the important Kenyan port city. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana
- 2014-10-17 - The Bishops: "What does the tetanus campaign hide?"