AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of some Christian churches have launched the alarm about religious freedom in Kenya after the killing of two evangelical pastors without reason in Kilifi and Mombasa, reports the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi.
On October 21, a group of evangelical Christian leaders issued a statement in which they condemn the killing of the two pastors and call on the government to defend the constitutional rights of public meeting and worship. "The Mombasa Church Forum categorically states that any attack on Christians will not prevent us from exercising our right to our freedom of worship and religion. To those who have committed these heinous attacks, we say that we are not intimidated and will continue to pray to the Lord in our churches", the statement said.
On October 20, Charles Matole, one of the leaders of the Vikwatani Redeemed Gospel Church was found dead in his church in Mombasa. The man had gunshot wounds. On October 19, in a forest in Kilifi, 60 km from Mombasa, the body of Ebrahim Kidata of the East African Pentecostal Churches had been discovered.
According to current hypothesis the two murders seem to be an act of retaliation for the killing of an Islamic preacher on 4 October in Mombasa, which had triggered accidents in the important Kenyan port city. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor