AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of some Christian churches have launched the alarm about religious freedom in Kenya after the killing of two evangelical pastors without reason in Kilifi and Mombasa, reports the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi.
On October 21, a group of evangelical Christian leaders issued a statement in which they condemn the killing of the two pastors and call on the government to defend the constitutional rights of public meeting and worship. "The Mombasa Church Forum categorically states that any attack on Christians will not prevent us from exercising our right to our freedom of worship and religion. To those who have committed these heinous attacks, we say that we are not intimidated and will continue to pray to the Lord in our churches", the statement said.
On October 20, Charles Matole, one of the leaders of the Vikwatani Redeemed Gospel Church was found dead in his church in Mombasa. The man had gunshot wounds. On October 19, in a forest in Kilifi, 60 km from Mombasa, the body of Ebrahim Kidata of the East African Pentecostal Churches had been discovered.
According to current hypothesis the two murders seem to be an act of retaliation for the killing of an Islamic preacher on 4 October in Mombasa, which had triggered accidents in the important Kenyan port city. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2015-10-12 - Jigger disease severely marks AIDS orphans
- 2015-09-08 - The protest of teachers takes to the street, the Church calls for dialogue
- 2015-09-04 - The Bishops of Kenya officially announce Pope Francis' visit
- 2015-09-03 - Bishop of Meru: "Fight for a culture that promotes family and life"
- 2015-08-17 - AFRICA/KENYA – Concern for reported destructive behaviour in local Catholic schools
- 2015-08-06 - By 2020, 20 Catholic radio stations will be created to cover the entire territory of Kenya
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"