AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of some Christian churches have launched the alarm about religious freedom in Kenya after the killing of two evangelical pastors without reason in Kilifi and Mombasa, reports the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi.
On October 21, a group of evangelical Christian leaders issued a statement in which they condemn the killing of the two pastors and call on the government to defend the constitutional rights of public meeting and worship. "The Mombasa Church Forum categorically states that any attack on Christians will not prevent us from exercising our right to our freedom of worship and religion. To those who have committed these heinous attacks, we say that we are not intimidated and will continue to pray to the Lord in our churches", the statement said.
On October 20, Charles Matole, one of the leaders of the Vikwatani Redeemed Gospel Church was found dead in his church in Mombasa. The man had gunshot wounds. On October 19, in a forest in Kilifi, 60 km from Mombasa, the body of Ebrahim Kidata of the East African Pentecostal Churches had been discovered.
According to current hypothesis the two murders seem to be an act of retaliation for the killing of an Islamic preacher on 4 October in Mombasa, which had triggered accidents in the important Kenyan port city. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage