AFRICA/KENYA - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of some Christian churches have launched the alarm about religious freedom in Kenya after the killing of two evangelical pastors without reason in Kilifi and Mombasa, reports the Catholic agency CISA in Nairobi.
On October 21, a group of evangelical Christian leaders issued a statement in which they condemn the killing of the two pastors and call on the government to defend the constitutional rights of public meeting and worship. "The Mombasa Church Forum categorically states that any attack on Christians will not prevent us from exercising our right to our freedom of worship and religion. To those who have committed these heinous attacks, we say that we are not intimidated and will continue to pray to the Lord in our churches", the statement said.
On October 20, Charles Matole, one of the leaders of the Vikwatani Redeemed Gospel Church was found dead in his church in Mombasa. The man had gunshot wounds. On October 19, in a forest in Kilifi, 60 km from Mombasa, the body of Ebrahim Kidata of the East African Pentecostal Churches had been discovered.
According to current hypothesis the two murders seem to be an act of retaliation for the killing of an Islamic preacher on 4 October in Mombasa, which had triggered accidents in the important Kenyan port city. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2015-11-27 - The greetings of a resident in Kibera to Pope Francis: "I am proud to live in an informal settlement"
- 2015-11-25 - Bishops of Kenya: "everything is ready to welcome Pope Francis"
- 2015-11-24 - AFRICA/KENYA – Nairobi: conference on Land grabbing and just governance organized by African Bishops
- 2015-11-24 - The Bishop of Maralal: "May Pope Francis' message of reconciliation help us to overcome tribal violence"
- 2015-11-21 - AFRICA/KENYA – The children of Holy Childhood will meet the Pope
- 2015-11-09 - The Bishops: "The Pope’s visit invites us to reflect on the values of the nation"
- 2015-11-05 - "Pope Francis' visit is a blessing and an opportunity for Kenyans"
- 2015-11-03 - "Curtain up for the children of the Little Prince": A theater school in the slum in Kibera
- 2015-11-03 - Bishops' new appeal: "Let us join together as a nation on the occasion of Pope Francis' arrival"
- 2015-10-27 - UN programme to combat poverty and marginalisation and guarantee respect for the rights of women and children