AFRICA/CONGO DR - Concern in eastern DRC for a resumption of hostilities
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "Rumors are circulating that Rwanda will attack simultaneously Goma and Bukavu on Saturday, October 26": this is what is reported to Fides by a local source from Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
Goma is the capital of North Kivu. Both Congolese provinces have been living in instability for years due to the presence of various armed groups. The more organized is the M23, which the UN and the Congolese government claim to be backed by Rwanda and Uganda.
On October 21, the Congolese delegation during peace talks in Kampala announced the suspension of negotiations with the M23, accusing the guerrilla movement of always presenting new demands at the negotiating table while at the same time strengthening their positions on the ground (see Fides 16 and October 23, 2013) .
Among the points that have stalled the negotiations there was one concerning an amnesty for members of the M23. The government, however, has responded that this cannot in any way relate to war crimes, acts of genocide and crimes against humanity, including sexual violence and recruitment of minors.
President Joseph Kabila announced the formation of a government of national unity "to restore peace and re-establish the State's authority, consolidate national cohesion, to pursue the reconstruction of the Country partly destroyed by the war, and improve the living conditions of the country". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society