AFRICA/CONGO DR - Concern in eastern DRC for a resumption of hostilities
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "Rumors are circulating that Rwanda will attack simultaneously Goma and Bukavu on Saturday, October 26": this is what is reported to Fides by a local source from Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
Goma is the capital of North Kivu. Both Congolese provinces have been living in instability for years due to the presence of various armed groups. The more organized is the M23, which the UN and the Congolese government claim to be backed by Rwanda and Uganda.
On October 21, the Congolese delegation during peace talks in Kampala announced the suspension of negotiations with the M23, accusing the guerrilla movement of always presenting new demands at the negotiating table while at the same time strengthening their positions on the ground (see Fides 16 and October 23, 2013) .
Among the points that have stalled the negotiations there was one concerning an amnesty for members of the M23. The government, however, has responded that this cannot in any way relate to war crimes, acts of genocide and crimes against humanity, including sexual violence and recruitment of minors.
President Joseph Kabila announced the formation of a government of national unity "to restore peace and re-establish the State's authority, consolidate national cohesion, to pursue the reconstruction of the Country partly destroyed by the war, and improve the living conditions of the country". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Bishops denounce insecurity and threats to family
- 2015-06-25 - "We respect the Constitution, no to Kabila’s third term", says civil society in South Kivu
- 2015-06-17 - "One votes on the basis of the existing electoral rolls" says the archdiocese of Kisangani
- 2015-06-12 - The UN representative offers himself as a mediator in the national dialogue
- 2015-06-09 - After the Bishops also civil society denounces the massacres committed by jihadists in Beni, "the world must intervene"
- 2015-06-05 - International ecumenical initiative launched to accompany the 2016 elections
- 2015-06-02 - The Bishops’ request to the President: "A national dialogue in accordance with the Constitution"
- 2015-05-26 - The Bishops denounce: "In eastern Congo three basic training camps for jihadists; but the UN observes without intervening"
- 2015-05-22 - Civil society denounces the ambiguous role of the army in the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2015-05-18 - Prayers and mobilization of the population to demand an end of attacks by Ugandan rebels