AFRICA/CONGO DR - Concern in eastern DRC for a resumption of hostilities
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "Rumors are circulating that Rwanda will attack simultaneously Goma and Bukavu on Saturday, October 26": this is what is reported to Fides by a local source from Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
Goma is the capital of North Kivu. Both Congolese provinces have been living in instability for years due to the presence of various armed groups. The more organized is the M23, which the UN and the Congolese government claim to be backed by Rwanda and Uganda.
On October 21, the Congolese delegation during peace talks in Kampala announced the suspension of negotiations with the M23, accusing the guerrilla movement of always presenting new demands at the negotiating table while at the same time strengthening their positions on the ground (see Fides 16 and October 23, 2013) .
Among the points that have stalled the negotiations there was one concerning an amnesty for members of the M23. The government, however, has responded that this cannot in any way relate to war crimes, acts of genocide and crimes against humanity, including sexual violence and recruitment of minors.
President Joseph Kabila announced the formation of a government of national unity "to restore peace and re-establish the State's authority, consolidate national cohesion, to pursue the reconstruction of the Country partly destroyed by the war, and improve the living conditions of the country". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2015-10-12 - Concern for the resignation of the President of the Independent Electoral Commission
- 2015-10-06 - First positive impact of the report submitted by Catholic organizations on the mine in Kibali
- 2015-09-17 - Uncontrollable epidemic of measles: 23,000 people infected
- 2015-09-14 - The jihadists hide in the forests of Virunga protected by apparently autonomous local groups
- 2015-09-07 - New massacres committed by jihadists in North Kivu
- 2015-08-24 - Bishops' appeal to young Africans: "Stay in Africa to build a better continent"
- 2015-08-18 - After lengthy delay polling station distribution law approved
- 2015-08-10 - The Catholic Church celebrates 135 years of missions in the DRC
- 2015-07-31 - “Yes to dialogue, but with respect for the law”, local Catholic Church on political dialogue
- 2015-07-17 - New assaults of the ADF/MDI in the territory of Beni: fires, looting, pillaging