AFRICA/CONGO DR - Concern in eastern DRC for a resumption of hostilities
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "Rumors are circulating that Rwanda will attack simultaneously Goma and Bukavu on Saturday, October 26": this is what is reported to Fides by a local source from Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
Goma is the capital of North Kivu. Both Congolese provinces have been living in instability for years due to the presence of various armed groups. The more organized is the M23, which the UN and the Congolese government claim to be backed by Rwanda and Uganda.
On October 21, the Congolese delegation during peace talks in Kampala announced the suspension of negotiations with the M23, accusing the guerrilla movement of always presenting new demands at the negotiating table while at the same time strengthening their positions on the ground (see Fides 16 and October 23, 2013) .
Among the points that have stalled the negotiations there was one concerning an amnesty for members of the M23. The government, however, has responded that this cannot in any way relate to war crimes, acts of genocide and crimes against humanity, including sexual violence and recruitment of minors.
President Joseph Kabila announced the formation of a government of national unity "to restore peace and re-establish the State's authority, consolidate national cohesion, to pursue the reconstruction of the Country partly destroyed by the war, and improve the living conditions of the country". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2014-10-24 - The youth of South Kivu with the Bishops against the amendment of the Constitution
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"