AFRICA/CONGO DR - Concern in eastern DRC for a resumption of hostilities
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "Rumors are circulating that Rwanda will attack simultaneously Goma and Bukavu on Saturday, October 26": this is what is reported to Fides by a local source from Bukavu, the capital of South Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
Goma is the capital of North Kivu. Both Congolese provinces have been living in instability for years due to the presence of various armed groups. The more organized is the M23, which the UN and the Congolese government claim to be backed by Rwanda and Uganda.
On October 21, the Congolese delegation during peace talks in Kampala announced the suspension of negotiations with the M23, accusing the guerrilla movement of always presenting new demands at the negotiating table while at the same time strengthening their positions on the ground (see Fides 16 and October 23, 2013) .
Among the points that have stalled the negotiations there was one concerning an amnesty for members of the M23. The government, however, has responded that this cannot in any way relate to war crimes, acts of genocide and crimes against humanity, including sexual violence and recruitment of minors.
President Joseph Kabila announced the formation of a government of national unity "to restore peace and re-establish the State's authority, consolidate national cohesion, to pursue the reconstruction of the Country partly destroyed by the war, and improve the living conditions of the country". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/10/2013)
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years
- 2015-02-12 - A UN report highlights the international links of the Congolese guerrillas
- 2015-02-05 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops ask for a clear electoral calendar
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni