ASIA/MYANMAR - Archbishop of Yangon: next to Pope Francis, to evangelize with mercy
Yangon (Agenzia Fides) - "One of the great evangelists of Christian history is the current Pope Francis: his words and actions have given enthusiasm to Christians and the world. He has become the pastor of the global village.
His approach to evangelization centered on mercy and compassion is inspiring many": with these words the Archbishop of Yangon, His Exc. Mgr. Charles Maung Bo re-launched an appeal to evangelization recalling that "being a missionary is the vocation of the Church". In a speech issued on the occasion of World Mission Day, and sent by the Archbishop to Fides Agency, Mgr. Bo remarks: "Every follower of Christ is a missionary. Today we need more missionaries. Missionary today is he who is ready to meet and discover the traces of God in others". The dynamics of evangelization has changed over the centuries, the text notes: "Centuries ago, Europe went to evangelize other peoples", while today the old continent has become "mission land", populated by hundreds of priests from all over the world. "The meeting among different cultures has generated new vigor to the churches of Europe. The Spirit works in all the apostles of the young churches - Asian, African and Latin American countries. The young Churches of Africa, Asia and South America establish the trend of evangelization today".
The Archbishop, recalling the Gospel passage that reads, "Be merciful, just like our heavenly Father is merciful", states that Christian evangelism is based on supreme human quality: compassion. Compassion is valued in Buddhist religious tradition, that is lived in Myanmar and had an exceptional witness in modern age: Mother Teresa of Calcutta. "Finding the traces of God in the lives of the poor and sick, Mother Teresa, with the sole virtue of compassion, brought the message of Christ to millions of people", said the Archbishop. Mgr. Bo notes that Pope Francis has put at the center of evangelization, "the ancient message of mercy and compassio, an approach and method of evangelization that is inspiring many". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Blasphemy laws undermine the rule of law
- 2015-07-20 - Cardinal Bo to the leaders of the nation: "Be good parents"
- 2015-05-28 - Radical Buddhist groups: "The Rohingya are not Burmese"
- 2015-05-25 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Cardinal Bo to the Burmese Government: "Compassion and mercy towards the boat people"
- 2015-03-04 - Cardinal Bo: "The seven swords that pierce Mary's heart in Myanmar"
- 2015-01-29 - "Remove a cross in the state of Chin": the order worries Christians
- 2015-01-23 - No to impunity for rape and murder of Kachin women
- 2015-01-08 - The Church joyfully welcomes the appointment of the first Burmese Cardinal in history
- 2014-11-25 - In the process of reforms underway, even the release of child soldiers
- 2014-11-24 - Bishops' Message for the Jubilee: "A new season of hope"