ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Many Catholic organizations involved in disaster relief to the people affected by the earthquake
Quezon City (Agenzia Fides) - Relief efforts in Bohol and in some areas of the central region of the Philippines continue.
In the latest update sent to Fides Agency by the Philippine Camillian Task Force, Father Dan Vicente Cancino, MI, reports that in Cebu and Bohol 13 landslides and 1,391 aftershocks have been recorded.
Fr. Dan reports that there are 171 deaths, 375 wounded and 21 missing in the provinces of Cebu, Bohol and Siquijor. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported that 1,285 small villages of 52 municipalities are seriously damaged and a total of about 3,426,718 people affected. Of these, 20,034 families are living in 85 evacuation centers, forced to abandon approximately 19,309 homes, of which 2,938 are completely destroyed and 16,371 are partially damaged. Roads, hospitals, schools and historic sites have collapsed or are partially damaged. However, the main ports and airports have begun to function in spite of the serious damage, while 21 bridges and four roads remain impassable. Many municipalities, especially in Bohol, are still without electricity and drinking water. Food reserves are also scarce and many markets are no longer accessible. According to Fr. Yking de la Pena and Fr. Warli Salise, of the Diocese of Tagbilaran, the main focus areas of interventions remain Maribojoc and Loon with their 4,526 and 4,420 families affected by the earthquake. Further assessments are being made of the damage suffered by the Archdiocese of Cebu. To date, government authorities have not yet made any request for assistance to the international community. Together with the local Episcopal Conference and the Camillian Task Force, other Catholic agencies such as Caritas New Zealand, Catholic Agency For Overseas Development (CAFOD) of England and Wales and the Catholic Relief Services are involved in helping these people. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - Bishops: "Laity and parishes have to act in order to combat modern slavery"
- 2015-05-19 - "Ready to welcome the Rohingya migrants": State and Church agree
- 2015-05-18 - Building peace remembering martyr Claretian Rhoel Gallardo
- 2015-05-13 - Education and aid to the poor at the Luigi Caburlotto school
- 2015-05-13 - The construction of a new shelter for the poor has begun
- 2015-05-08 - The Village of Harmony has been giving an example of "life-in-dialogue" in southern Philippines for 25 years
- 2015-04-24 - Islamic and Christian religious leaders: "Necessity to review the Bangasamoro Basic Law"
- 2015-04-09 - The Church to the President: "It is time to approve land reform"
- 2015-03-31 - Cardinal Tagle: "Way of the Cross on Good Friday in prayer for peace"
- 2015-03-28 - Humanitarian crisis in Mindanao; a law has been submitted in the Philippine congress on the Muslim region