ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Many Catholic organizations involved in disaster relief to the people affected by the earthquake
Quezon City (Agenzia Fides) - Relief efforts in Bohol and in some areas of the central region of the Philippines continue.
In the latest update sent to Fides Agency by the Philippine Camillian Task Force, Father Dan Vicente Cancino, MI, reports that in Cebu and Bohol 13 landslides and 1,391 aftershocks have been recorded.
Fr. Dan reports that there are 171 deaths, 375 wounded and 21 missing in the provinces of Cebu, Bohol and Siquijor. The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council reported that 1,285 small villages of 52 municipalities are seriously damaged and a total of about 3,426,718 people affected. Of these, 20,034 families are living in 85 evacuation centers, forced to abandon approximately 19,309 homes, of which 2,938 are completely destroyed and 16,371 are partially damaged. Roads, hospitals, schools and historic sites have collapsed or are partially damaged. However, the main ports and airports have begun to function in spite of the serious damage, while 21 bridges and four roads remain impassable. Many municipalities, especially in Bohol, are still without electricity and drinking water. Food reserves are also scarce and many markets are no longer accessible. According to Fr. Yking de la Pena and Fr. Warli Salise, of the Diocese of Tagbilaran, the main focus areas of interventions remain Maribojoc and Loon with their 4,526 and 4,420 families affected by the earthquake. Further assessments are being made of the damage suffered by the Archdiocese of Cebu. To date, government authorities have not yet made any request for assistance to the international community. Together with the local Episcopal Conference and the Camillian Task Force, other Catholic agencies such as Caritas New Zealand, Catholic Agency For Overseas Development (CAFOD) of England and Wales and the Catholic Relief Services are involved in helping these people. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2013)
- 2014-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' message for Lent: "Poverty dehumanizes the country"
- 2014-02-20 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The commitment of the Churches for AIDS patients
- 2014-02-07 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Simple boats transformed into mobile clinics to deliver humanitarian and medical aid
- 2014-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Thousands of children are ready to go back to school to begin a process of recovery towards normality
- 2014-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Superior General OMI: "With Msg. Quevedo, let us look at the Church of the poor"
- 2014-01-08 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - An Interfaith Council established by the Commune of Zamboanga City
- 2013-12-20 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Christmas for refugees of Typhoon Haiyan, between hunger and risk of child abuse
- 2013-12-18 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Protecting the rights of vulnerable children and help them return to school
- 2013-12-17 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - National Meeting for the 50th anniversary of Pacem in Terris
- 2013-12-13 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church to the President: Rethink reclamations