AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Terrorism alarm in Tumaco: commission lead by the Bishop seeks dialogue with the FARC
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - The consequences of recent terrorist attacks carried out by the FARC ( Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) to power lines in the city are tremendous for the people of Tumaco. For this reason, organized groups of civil society have proposed the creation of a Commission to go to Havana, where peace talks between the Colombian government and FARC (see Fides 20/11/2012) are held, to seek direct dialogue with the latter.
The note sent to Fides Agency informs that the Commission will be chaired by the Bishop of the Diocese of Tumaco, His Exc. Mgr. Gustavo Girón Higuita, O.C.D., and formed by union representatives, who wish to give visibility to the dramatic situation suffered by the population, especially the poorest. In these days, informs the note, necessary paperwork at the ministry of the interior is being carried out, in order to get to the negotiating table and end hostilities against this community.
In the town of Tumaco, Nariño Department, Colombia, in less than 20 days, the FARC have detonated 10 towers supporting electricity cables, so the city remained in the dark and without electricity for several days. Even today electricity is lacking in several areas and also in the port, causing incalculable losses because fishermen cannot freeze the fish.
The Bishop of Tumaco told the press: "We do not have water, because the pumps do not work. Fires break out in homes because people use candles and the fire department cannot pump the water because there is no electricity". Mgr. Girón reported that crime has also increased due to the lack of light in the streets: "From January to September 178 people were murdered. Our city has 102,000 inhabitants, of whom 55,000 young students, who now cannot go to school because they are closed due to lack of electricity". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - "We hope peace is near" says Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-10-08 - The Auxiliary Bishop of Medellin: "We cannot get used to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - Another priest killed for armed robbery
- 2014-10-02 - Members of the third delegation of victims set off for Havana to meet with FARC representatives
- 2014-09-30 - Working with the indigenous open to inculturation: the commitment of the Apostolic Vicar of Mitu
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC