AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Terrorism alarm in Tumaco: commission lead by the Bishop seeks dialogue with the FARC
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - The consequences of recent terrorist attacks carried out by the FARC ( Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) to power lines in the city are tremendous for the people of Tumaco. For this reason, organized groups of civil society have proposed the creation of a Commission to go to Havana, where peace talks between the Colombian government and FARC (see Fides 20/11/2012) are held, to seek direct dialogue with the latter.
The note sent to Fides Agency informs that the Commission will be chaired by the Bishop of the Diocese of Tumaco, His Exc. Mgr. Gustavo Girón Higuita, O.C.D., and formed by union representatives, who wish to give visibility to the dramatic situation suffered by the population, especially the poorest. In these days, informs the note, necessary paperwork at the ministry of the interior is being carried out, in order to get to the negotiating table and end hostilities against this community.
In the town of Tumaco, Nariño Department, Colombia, in less than 20 days, the FARC have detonated 10 towers supporting electricity cables, so the city remained in the dark and without electricity for several days. Even today electricity is lacking in several areas and also in the port, causing incalculable losses because fishermen cannot freeze the fish.
The Bishop of Tumaco told the press: "We do not have water, because the pumps do not work. Fires break out in homes because people use candles and the fire department cannot pump the water because there is no electricity". Mgr. Girón reported that crime has also increased due to the lack of light in the streets: "From January to September 178 people were murdered. Our city has 102,000 inhabitants, of whom 55,000 young students, who now cannot go to school because they are closed due to lack of electricity". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2013)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"