AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Terrorism alarm in Tumaco: commission lead by the Bishop seeks dialogue with the FARC
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - The consequences of recent terrorist attacks carried out by the FARC ( Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) to power lines in the city are tremendous for the people of Tumaco. For this reason, organized groups of civil society have proposed the creation of a Commission to go to Havana, where peace talks between the Colombian government and FARC (see Fides 20/11/2012) are held, to seek direct dialogue with the latter.
The note sent to Fides Agency informs that the Commission will be chaired by the Bishop of the Diocese of Tumaco, His Exc. Mgr. Gustavo Girón Higuita, O.C.D., and formed by union representatives, who wish to give visibility to the dramatic situation suffered by the population, especially the poorest. In these days, informs the note, necessary paperwork at the ministry of the interior is being carried out, in order to get to the negotiating table and end hostilities against this community.
In the town of Tumaco, Nariño Department, Colombia, in less than 20 days, the FARC have detonated 10 towers supporting electricity cables, so the city remained in the dark and without electricity for several days. Even today electricity is lacking in several areas and also in the port, causing incalculable losses because fishermen cannot freeze the fish.
The Bishop of Tumaco told the press: "We do not have water, because the pumps do not work. Fires break out in homes because people use candles and the fire department cannot pump the water because there is no electricity". Mgr. Girón reported that crime has also increased due to the lack of light in the streets: "From January to September 178 people were murdered. Our city has 102,000 inhabitants, of whom 55,000 young students, who now cannot go to school because they are closed due to lack of electricity". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country
- 2014-06-28 - AMERICA/COLOMBIA – IDPs are increasing: the Church appeals to the authorities to resolve the crisis
- 2014-06-27 - The Church with regards to peace talks: Consider the pain of the victims
- 2014-06-20 - "The Church has helped me to find a land": in Colombia 5.5 million internally displaced persons
- 2014-06-14 - off in Colombia, the Church calls for dialogue and mutual respect