AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Terrorism alarm in Tumaco: commission lead by the Bishop seeks dialogue with the FARC
Tumaco (Agenzia Fides) - The consequences of recent terrorist attacks carried out by the FARC ( Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) to power lines in the city are tremendous for the people of Tumaco. For this reason, organized groups of civil society have proposed the creation of a Commission to go to Havana, where peace talks between the Colombian government and FARC (see Fides 20/11/2012) are held, to seek direct dialogue with the latter.
The note sent to Fides Agency informs that the Commission will be chaired by the Bishop of the Diocese of Tumaco, His Exc. Mgr. Gustavo Girón Higuita, O.C.D., and formed by union representatives, who wish to give visibility to the dramatic situation suffered by the population, especially the poorest. In these days, informs the note, necessary paperwork at the ministry of the interior is being carried out, in order to get to the negotiating table and end hostilities against this community.
In the town of Tumaco, Nariño Department, Colombia, in less than 20 days, the FARC have detonated 10 towers supporting electricity cables, so the city remained in the dark and without electricity for several days. Even today electricity is lacking in several areas and also in the port, causing incalculable losses because fishermen cannot freeze the fish.
The Bishop of Tumaco told the press: "We do not have water, because the pumps do not work. Fires break out in homes because people use candles and the fire department cannot pump the water because there is no electricity". Mgr. Girón reported that crime has also increased due to the lack of light in the streets: "From January to September 178 people were murdered. Our city has 102,000 inhabitants, of whom 55,000 young students, who now cannot go to school because they are closed due to lack of electricity". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 22/10/2013)
- 2015-04-16 - Eleven soldiers killed, the Church asks for a definitive cease-fire
- 2015-04-01 - Special care for children infected with chikungunya
- 2015-03-30 - Joy in the suffering: Sincelejo welcomes the new Bishop remembering the pastor killed
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery
- 2015-03-18 - Elections: the Archbishop of Medellin urges the socio-political formation of the community
- 2015-03-10 - "Weapons, from security to threat for the family, must be eliminated" asks the Archbishop of Medellin
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”