AFRICA/EGYPT - Massacre in front of the church, the dead rise to four. Condolences from the Muslim Brotherhood
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt have defined the attack perpetrated last night against the Coptic Orthodox Church of Our Lady in the district of Uarak to Hadra, in the metropolitan area of Cairo "atrocious", where two masked men arrived on board of a motorcycle, attacked with bursts of gunfire the participants at a wedding. During the night, the death toll rose to four (including a 9-year-old child) and 12 injured.
The Muslim Brotherhood expressed condolences to the families of the victims, denouncing the lack of security measures in front of the place of Christian worship. "We are saddened by the fact that the authorities backed by the military, instead of carrying out their duty to protect, continue to ignore the fire provoked in a deliberate form, vandalism and murder".
According to the Catholic bishop of the Latin rite Adel Zaki OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Alexandria in Egypt, that of the Muslim Brotherhood "is a tactic already used by them on other occasions: they express their solidarity to the victims, and then what emerges is that the architects of the terrorist attacks are people related to them. Now, says to Fides Bishop Zaki "their goal is to cause chaos and then lay responsibility to the weakness of the government and the army that do not guarantee safety. The truth is manipulated to divide, and in this I see the work of the devil. They want to divide Christians and Muslims who together brought the downfall of Morsi’s Islamic regime. The bombings and attacks against Christians have now come to the capital. May the Lord save us". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2013) .
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya