AFRICA/CONGO DR - There is still no news of the 3 Assumptionists kidnapped a year ago. In the area there are 800 abducted persons
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - There is still no news of the 3 Assumptionists (Augustinians of the Assumption) kidnapped exactly a year ago of Congolese nationality, Jean -Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute, who disappeared on the evening of 19 October 2012 (see Fides 22/10/2012) in their parish Notre-Dame des Pauvres Mbau, 22 km from Beni, North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
Their case is not isolated because according to a statement sent to Fides by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, at least 800 people have so far been abducted in the territory of Beni.
The lastest case concerns Dr. Augustin Mutsunga, a health center doctor from Maboya . "If the majority of kidnappings are attributed to the ADF-Nalu/Al Shabaab terrorist coalition, others are the work of Mai-Mai militias and unidentified armed gangs" the statement said.
ADF-NALU (Allied Democratic Forces - National Army for the Liberation of Uganda) is a Ugandan rebel coalition that has long laid its bases on Congolese territory.
The Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu has urged the population to organize masses or moments of prayer in memory of all those kidnapped in the region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2013)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years