AFRICA/CONGO DR - There is still no news of the 3 Assumptionists kidnapped a year ago. In the area there are 800 abducted persons
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - There is still no news of the 3 Assumptionists (Augustinians of the Assumption) kidnapped exactly a year ago of Congolese nationality, Jean -Pierre Ndulani, Anselme Wasikundi and Edmond Bamutute, who disappeared on the evening of 19 October 2012 (see Fides 22/10/2012) in their parish Notre-Dame des Pauvres Mbau, 22 km from Beni, North Kivu (eastern Democratic Republic of Congo).
Their case is not isolated because according to a statement sent to Fides by the Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu, at least 800 people have so far been abducted in the territory of Beni.
The lastest case concerns Dr. Augustin Mutsunga, a health center doctor from Maboya . "If the majority of kidnappings are attributed to the ADF-Nalu/Al Shabaab terrorist coalition, others are the work of Mai-Mai militias and unidentified armed gangs" the statement said.
ADF-NALU (Allied Democratic Forces - National Army for the Liberation of Uganda) is a Ugandan rebel coalition that has long laid its bases on Congolese territory.
The Provincial Coordination of Civil Society of North Kivu has urged the population to organize masses or moments of prayer in memory of all those kidnapped in the region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/10/2013)
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries
- 2014-06-17 - The Congolese doctor who helps victims of sexual violence:"rape is a weapon of mass destruction"
- 2014-06-13 - Clashes at the border with Rwanda: Civil society calls for the intervention of the international community
- 2014-06-12 - Massacre in South Kivu: it is not land conflict but clash among local politicians
- 2014-06-09 - Appeal for the release of 900 hostages, including three Assumptionist fathers kidnapped in 2012