AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil
Aparecida ( Agenzia Fides) - The General Assembly of the Sons of Divine Providence of the Don Orione has started in Aparecida del Norte, the city of the great Marian shrine between Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. There are over 60 delegates from all over the world, representing the 32 nations where the Sons of Don Orione are present. According to information sent to Fides Agency, the Assembly takes place in Brazil to mark the centenary of the arrival of the first missionaries sent by Don Orione in this land, exactly in the state of Minas Gerais (see Fides 17/07/2013), that marked the missionary outreach of the Congregation beyond the borders of Italy.
At the beginning of the Assembly, Fr. Antonio Sagrado Bogaz gave a report on the historical and current presence of the Congregation in Brazil, then highlighted, with the help of videos and power point, the beginnings and the activity of the Congregation in all countries where it is currently present.
The meeting - which has the theme "Charity alone will save the world" – was presided by the superior general of the Sons of Divine Providence (FDP), Don Flavio Peloso, and the General Council, all provincial Superiors, the Superior General of the Little Missionary Sisters of Charity (PSMC), Sister Mary Mabel, the general coordinator of the Don Orione Lay Movement and the head of Don Orione Secular Institute were present. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 19/10/2013)
- 2015-11-25 - National school feeding program to improve the living conditions of children and farmers
- 2015-11-23 - The presence of foreign missionaries enriches the Church in Brazil
- 2015-11-13 - Two more religious missionary nuns sent to Haiti: they will help children, youth and families
- 2015-10-30 - Bishops' message: Crisis in the country worsens, dialogue and democracy are needed
- 2015-10-20 - "Scalabrinian Mission": opening of a new reception center for refugees in Sao Paulo
- 2015-10-14 - "The wealth of Brazil should be better distributed" asks Mgr. Nicioli
- 2015-10-10 - The Church: it is urgent to save abandoned children and adolescents who have disappeared
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age