AFRICA/CONGO DR - A petition for the creation of the International Criminal Court for the DRC
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Network for Peace in Congo and the National Network of NGOs for Human Rights of the Democratic Republic of Congo (RENADHOC) have launched a petition for the establishment of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo". The petition, is addressed, among others, to French President François Hollande, to U.S. President Barack Obama, to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki -moon, and to Mary Robinson, special Envoy of the UN Secretary General in the Great Lakes region.
The text of the petition states: "Excellencies,
in line with your statements of condemnation of acts of rape as a weapon of war and all other crimes committed in the DRC, we kindly ask you to instruct your ambassadors at the Security Council of the United Nations, so that they approve a resolution on the creation of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo, in succession to the TPIR in Arusha, which will end its activities in 2014. This Court is the only court able to deal with all crimes reported in the UN Mapping Report and that have been committed, and continue to be committed to this day, in the DRC".
The UN Mapping report denounces the interference of neighboring States in the DRC, in particular the support of the various guerrilla movements operating in the east of the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2013)
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries