AFRICA/CONGO DR - A petition for the creation of the International Criminal Court for the DRC
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Network for Peace in Congo and the National Network of NGOs for Human Rights of the Democratic Republic of Congo (RENADHOC) have launched a petition for the establishment of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo". The petition, is addressed, among others, to French President François Hollande, to U.S. President Barack Obama, to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki -moon, and to Mary Robinson, special Envoy of the UN Secretary General in the Great Lakes region.
The text of the petition states: "Excellencies,
in line with your statements of condemnation of acts of rape as a weapon of war and all other crimes committed in the DRC, we kindly ask you to instruct your ambassadors at the Security Council of the United Nations, so that they approve a resolution on the creation of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo, in succession to the TPIR in Arusha, which will end its activities in 2014. This Court is the only court able to deal with all crimes reported in the UN Mapping Report and that have been committed, and continue to be committed to this day, in the DRC".
The UN Mapping report denounces the interference of neighboring States in the DRC, in particular the support of the various guerrilla movements operating in the east of the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2013)
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "President, reinforce the presence of the State" is what civil society in North Kivu asks Kabila
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Still instability in North Kivu: new attacks against civilians
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The social market economy at the service of the individual and the community
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Rwandan military deployed 3 km from Goma, civil society denounces
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/DR CONGO - Catholics and Anglicans together for peace in the Great Lakes
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23: a historic victory for the Congolese army
- 2013-11-05 AFRICA/DR CONGO - The M23 surrenders but first bombards civilians, accuse local sources
- 2013-11-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The defeat of the M23 seems likely but there are 40 other armed groups in North Kivu
- 2013-10-28 AFRICA/CONGO DR - M23 : "There are several mass graves in addition to those already found" denounces civil society
- 2013-10-25 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Fighting between the army and M23 have resumed