AFRICA/CONGO DR - A petition for the creation of the International Criminal Court for the DRC
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Network for Peace in Congo and the National Network of NGOs for Human Rights of the Democratic Republic of Congo (RENADHOC) have launched a petition for the establishment of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo". The petition, is addressed, among others, to French President François Hollande, to U.S. President Barack Obama, to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki -moon, and to Mary Robinson, special Envoy of the UN Secretary General in the Great Lakes region.
The text of the petition states: "Excellencies,
in line with your statements of condemnation of acts of rape as a weapon of war and all other crimes committed in the DRC, we kindly ask you to instruct your ambassadors at the Security Council of the United Nations, so that they approve a resolution on the creation of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo, in succession to the TPIR in Arusha, which will end its activities in 2014. This Court is the only court able to deal with all crimes reported in the UN Mapping Report and that have been committed, and continue to be committed to this day, in the DRC".
The UN Mapping report denounces the interference of neighboring States in the DRC, in particular the support of the various guerrilla movements operating in the east of the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2013)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years