AFRICA/CONGO DR - A petition for the creation of the International Criminal Court for the DRC
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Network for Peace in Congo and the National Network of NGOs for Human Rights of the Democratic Republic of Congo (RENADHOC) have launched a petition for the establishment of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo". The petition, is addressed, among others, to French President François Hollande, to U.S. President Barack Obama, to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki -moon, and to Mary Robinson, special Envoy of the UN Secretary General in the Great Lakes region.
The text of the petition states: "Excellencies,
in line with your statements of condemnation of acts of rape as a weapon of war and all other crimes committed in the DRC, we kindly ask you to instruct your ambassadors at the Security Council of the United Nations, so that they approve a resolution on the creation of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo, in succession to the TPIR in Arusha, which will end its activities in 2014. This Court is the only court able to deal with all crimes reported in the UN Mapping Report and that have been committed, and continue to be committed to this day, in the DRC".
The UN Mapping report denounces the interference of neighboring States in the DRC, in particular the support of the various guerrilla movements operating in the east of the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2013)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23