AFRICA/CONGO DR - A petition for the creation of the International Criminal Court for the DRC
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Network for Peace in Congo and the National Network of NGOs for Human Rights of the Democratic Republic of Congo (RENADHOC) have launched a petition for the establishment of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo". The petition, is addressed, among others, to French President François Hollande, to U.S. President Barack Obama, to the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki -moon, and to Mary Robinson, special Envoy of the UN Secretary General in the Great Lakes region.
The text of the petition states: "Excellencies,
in line with your statements of condemnation of acts of rape as a weapon of war and all other crimes committed in the DRC, we kindly ask you to instruct your ambassadors at the Security Council of the United Nations, so that they approve a resolution on the creation of an International Criminal Court for the Democratic Republic of Congo, in succession to the TPIR in Arusha, which will end its activities in 2014. This Court is the only court able to deal with all crimes reported in the UN Mapping Report and that have been committed, and continue to be committed to this day, in the DRC".
The UN Mapping report denounces the interference of neighboring States in the DRC, in particular the support of the various guerrilla movements operating in the east of the Country. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/10/2013)
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society