AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - "Nigerian Bishops are concerned that economic growth is real and not just on paper. They want a real growth that creates jobs for our people, especially for young people", said Fr. Evaristus Bassey, Executive Director of the Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria, in a recent interview with media in Abuja, dedicated to economic issues. Fr. Bassey noted that although economic statistics submitted by the Government denote an increase of national wealth, this has not meant there has been an improvement of the living conditions of the majority of Nigerians.
If state authorities are therefore required to adopt policies that encourage the creation of jobs, Fr. Bassey added that the Church must also do its part. "Many churches generate millions of naira every week through collections. Instead of putting all into the physical development of the Church, a percentage of these funds should be geared towards poverty reduction programmes for everyone", said the Director of Caritas.
Fr. Bassey also stressed that "the churches that can pay a good salary should stop paying below the minimum wage".
The Director of Caritas finally remarked that the programs for poverty reduction undertaken by some Nigerian institutions, such as the Central Bank, should be monitored to ensure that the funds reach those who really need it. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/10/2013)
- 2014-07-17 - The President intends to ask a billion dollars to fight Boko Haram
- 2014-07-07 - More than two thousand women widowed largely by the Boko Haram insurgency assisted by the Diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-06-30 - New attacks in the north: the Bishop of Maiduguri, "the human mind cannot understand what is going on"
- 2014-06-26 - "Let us seek the path of dialogue to end violence", says to Fides Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-11 - The Bishops: "necessary to ensure the rights of all religions throughout the Country"
- 2014-06-10 - "Yes to amnesty for Boko Haram, as long as there is sincere repentance and compensation for the victims" says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-06-06 - The Bishops announce six months of prayer for peace in Nigeria
- 2014-06-06 - "Boko Haram threatens the unity of the army", says Cardinal Onaiyekan to Fides
- 2014-05-28 - Boko Haram: For Cardinal Onaiyekan "It is not enough to condemn violence alone, but it is also necessary to condemn intollerant positions"
- 2014-05-23 - "The kidnapping of the girls in Chibok has united the Country", said the Bishop of Sokoto