AFRICA/CONGO DR - North Kivu: Rwandan and Ugandan troops to strengthen the M23 rebels, civil society denounces
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - "Several battalions of the Rwandan (RDF) and Ugandan (UPDF) army have entered the territory of the Democratic Republic of the Congo to strengthen the rebellion of the M23, in preparation for renewed hostilities against our national army" denounces a memorandum sent to Congolese President Joseph Kabila by the Coordination of civil society in North Kivu.
The document, sent to Fides Agency, highlights the detailed movements of troops sent from Kampala and Kigali to the eastern DRC. In particular, on October 11, "9 trucks full of Rwandan and Ugandan soldiers entered the border post of Bunagana (in Rutshuru territory) accompanied by a battle tank, several rocket launchers and an imposing artillery". These troops were spread over 4 strongholds held by the M23 in the area.
On October 13, other two Rwandan battalions crossed the border in the Virunga Park.
In other areas the Rwandan military installed some heavy weapons on strategic hills in support of the rebels of the M23.
The memorandum also claims that a meeting to coordinate the next offensive in North Kivu was held in a hotel in Gisenyi (Rwanda) in the presence of the high command of the Rwandan army and M23 movement. Civil society calls on the authorities in Kinshasa to take the necessary measures to prevent a new aggression to people living in the area and the national army in charge of defending them. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/10/2013)
- 2014-10-17 - At least 30 people have died in the guerrilla assault in the town of Beni
- 2014-10-16 - Bishops' strong condemnation regarding the attack against priests and religious women in Lodja
- 2014-10-14 - New threats to priests and religious women because of the opposition of the Bishops to the constitutional amendment
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in the areas that the army has declared "free" from the guerrillas continue
- 2014-10-02 - Initiatives on behalf of "Justice and Peace" for reconciliation between Congolese and Rwandans
- 2014-09-22 - More than 70,000 children accused of witchcraft and persecuted
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23