ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Marayati: the policies of the international community encourage the exodus of Christians
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - "There is a rumor that 17 Countries have opened their doors to Syrian refugees. This news has reignited with more force even among Christians the impulse to leave Syria". This was reported to Fides Agency by the Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo Boutros Marayati, adding that "for now, this is not a mass exodus, but the phenomenon involves a growing number of families".
The Armenian Catholic Archbishop confirms that the richest Christians have already left, while for others "any attempt to leave the country remains dangerous and also very expensive, because a lot of money is needed. But those who have already reached Lebanon will now submit their requests to leave the country to the UN bodies, trusting that they are received promptly".
According to Archbishop Marayati "the Syrian situation gets more and more complicated". For example, next to the Christians fleeing there are others who return to Aleppo after seeking refuge in the coastal area of Lattakia, because "they had no money to pay the rent and here they can also send their children to schools, which have re-opened". Even the idea of a united front of opposition militias fighting against the regime now appears to be set aside definitively, because among the rebels "there are so many factions that fight each other on the field".
In past days, the army of Assad re-opened the road that connected Aleppo to Homs. Archbishop Marayati ensures that the concrete relief perceived by the population has so far been minimal: "Food becomes more expensive, there is lack of electricity and water in many neighborhoods. We spend the time distributing food and basic necessities, and families who ask for them always increase. In outlying districts and suburbs explosions and bombings continue, even yesterday, the day of the Muslim feast of Sacrifice". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/10/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - Assad: "Putin is the only defender of Christian civilization"
- 2015-11-17 - Pax Christi: need to put an end to the support to jihadist groups
- 2015-11-11 - Assyrian associations denounce the violence and abuse of Kurdish forces
- 2015-11-07 - The jihadist Islamic State release 37 other Assyrian hostages of the valley of Khabur
- 2015-10-28 - Russian delegation meets representatives of Churches and religious communities
- 2015-10-27 - Father Murad speaks of his captivity
- 2015-10-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – A shell hits Latin Church in Aleppo during the celebration of Mass. Bishop Abou Khazen: it could have been a massacre
- 2015-10-26 - violence and human rights: lessons in peace building in war zones.
- 2015-10-23 - Christians in Hassakè denounce attempts to expropriate properties of emigrants
- 2015-10-20 - Offensive in Aleppo. Archbishop Marayati: we pay the price of the 'Holy Wars' carried out by others