AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - "Corruption is theft from the poor " denounce the Bishops of Southern Africa
Johannesburg ( Agenzia Fides) - "Corruption is theft from the poor" warn the Bishops of the South African Catholic Bishops' Conference, SACBC (which brings together the Bishops of the South Africa, Swaziland and Botswana), in a pastoral letter dedicated to the scourge of corruption. "Money diverted into the pockets of corrupt people could have been spent on housing for the homeless, on medicine for the sick or for other needs", the Bishops said.
"Corruption harms the whole community. When bribery becomes a way of life for civil servants, business people or church personnel, their real responsibilities are put aside in pursuit of making money for themselves", continues the document outlining how corruption leads us to become cynical about each other, to distrust the people we regard as our leaders and as honourable people.
The Bishops recall that according to statistics in Southern Africa "about half of the citizens admit to having paid a bribe, mostly to police officers and government officials". "This means that the challenge to work for the eradication of this illness is addressed to all of us" says the document. "If you experience corruption, report it".
The SACBC finally agrees to launch an information campaign through its Justice and Peace Department to combat the phenomenon. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2013)
- 2014-07-01 - Bishop of Rustenburg says thanks for the help given to the miners who have concluded the strike
- 2014-06-23 - An American missionary who dedicated her life to orphans in South Africa has been killed
- 2014-05-07 - " Be careful not to go back to new forms of racial discrimination" says Cardinal Napier to voters
- 2014-05-02 - "Enormous progress on integration, but we need to fight corruption", says Cardinal Napier
- 2014-04-04 - The Bishops: "President, give an explanation of the excessive expenditure on the renovation of your house with public money"
- 2014-03-10 - The role of the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences on the subject of reconciliation, good governance, the common good and democratic transition
- 2014-02-19 - South African Bishops: "Go and vote, because this right has been won with blood"
- 2014-02-10 - Bishops’ message in view of the elections on May 7: "Let us carefully choose who to vote for"
- 2014-01-29 - "No to laws that discriminate homosexuals": editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
- 2013-12-10 - AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA – Mandela; Cardinal Napier: "Grateful for what he did for South Africa and the world"