AMERICA/NICARAGUA - "Weapons are not the tool to claim rights" warns Mgr. Herrera after the violence in rural areas
Jinotega ( Agenzia Fides) - A strong appeal for peace and dialogue came from the Bishop of the Diocese of Jinotega after the violence which took place in recent days between members of the Army of Nicaragua and unknown armed groups, that faced each other in the rural communities of Pantasma and Wiwili districts. In the clashes seven civilians and military were killed.
In a statement sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua, signed by the Bishop of Jinotega, His Exc. Mgr. Carlos Enrique Herrera, O.F.M., the Catholic Church warns the so-called "re-armed" that "weapons are not the effective tool to claim their rights". Mgr. Herrera therefore calls for dialogue and asks the Army to "respect the human rights of civilians". "One must seek dialogue" the statement concludes, "because, in the end, those who suffer are the poor people who live in the countryside, those who live in persecution and social instability".
From the information Fides gathered, one can see that the population live in fear due to the lack of security in rural areas. According to the civil authorities, these groups are "re-armed" against the government of Daniel Ortega, but according to the army chief, General Julio Cesar Aviles, these armed groups are formed instead by criminals who are dedicated to cattle theft, kidnappings and extortion. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2013)
- 2015-03-27 - Group of Spanish Catholic volunteers give support to Nicaraguan children
- 2015-03-20 - Project which involves women to bring electricity to poor communities
- 2015-03-09 - Lent: journey of liberation to fight indifference and selfishness
- 2015-03-06 - "Facts have to be reported": creation of the Human Rights Commission in Pantasma
- 2015-02-13 - Mgr. Mata: "The government must defend human rights"
- 2015-01-20 - Pastoral letter: "Some people are more interested in profit than man himself"
- 2015-01-13 - Still controversy about the transoceanic canal: the Bishops call for clarity
- 2014-12-10 - Church-Government meeting on the Interoceanic Canal
- 2014-12-05 - AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Electoral certificate renewal: Bishops speak out
- 2014-11-26 - The Bishops of Central America gather: Communication in the culture of encounter