AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, in Peru, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, said one must not to be afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out and should be behind bars. Mgr. Simon Piorno made these statements to the local press with regards to blackmail that takes place in the city and that are attributed to the inmates of "Cambio Puente" prison.
The note sent to Fides Agency also says that the Bishop considers a device to be installed to block calls inside the prison unnecessary because this will not stop blackmail, while he stressed: "I repeat, you have to catch criminals who are on the loose, who threaten people in order to get easy money".
The Bishop also expressed concern about the 75 homicides recorded so far this year in Chimbote: "With 75 deaths we seem to be living in the Stone Age period, in which one does not respect the lives of others. These figures are shocking, ones commitment to address the serious problem in the city – insecurity - must be taken".
Mgr. Simon Piorno stressed that if the police fail to get results and, on the contrary, the climate of violence grows, then it would be necessary to think about making changes and finding new strategies. Finally, he recalled that on Thursday, 17 he will participate in the March for Peace organized by the inmates at the "Cambio Puente" prison (see Fides 09/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2013)
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/PERU - Exclusion and discrimination, but also struggle and resistance for indigenous women around the world
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/PERU - 5,000 malnourished children in the province of Santa
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/PERU - In one year children working and living on the streets have increased by 200%
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - Also the indigenous children Kukama took part in the "TINKUY 2013"
- 2013-10-15 AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/PERU - Peruvian Migrants' Day, October - month of the Lord of Miracles
- 2013-10-09 AMERICA/PERU - The prisoners march for peace in Chimbote, the Bishop is present
- 2013-10-04 AMERICA/PERU - "Share your faith ... and also your bread": missionary month in the sign of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/PERU - Children and women exploited in sweatshops in the Amazon
- 2013-09-25 AMERICA/PERU - Two thousand victims rescued from human trafficking, 42% are minors