AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, in Peru, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, said one must not to be afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out and should be behind bars. Mgr. Simon Piorno made these statements to the local press with regards to blackmail that takes place in the city and that are attributed to the inmates of "Cambio Puente" prison.
The note sent to Fides Agency also says that the Bishop considers a device to be installed to block calls inside the prison unnecessary because this will not stop blackmail, while he stressed: "I repeat, you have to catch criminals who are on the loose, who threaten people in order to get easy money".
The Bishop also expressed concern about the 75 homicides recorded so far this year in Chimbote: "With 75 deaths we seem to be living in the Stone Age period, in which one does not respect the lives of others. These figures are shocking, ones commitment to address the serious problem in the city – insecurity - must be taken".
Mgr. Simon Piorno stressed that if the police fail to get results and, on the contrary, the climate of violence grows, then it would be necessary to think about making changes and finding new strategies. Finally, he recalled that on Thursday, 17 he will participate in the March for Peace organized by the inmates at the "Cambio Puente" prison (see Fides 09/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2013)
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need