AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, in Peru, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, said one must not to be afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out and should be behind bars. Mgr. Simon Piorno made these statements to the local press with regards to blackmail that takes place in the city and that are attributed to the inmates of "Cambio Puente" prison.
The note sent to Fides Agency also says that the Bishop considers a device to be installed to block calls inside the prison unnecessary because this will not stop blackmail, while he stressed: "I repeat, you have to catch criminals who are on the loose, who threaten people in order to get easy money".
The Bishop also expressed concern about the 75 homicides recorded so far this year in Chimbote: "With 75 deaths we seem to be living in the Stone Age period, in which one does not respect the lives of others. These figures are shocking, ones commitment to address the serious problem in the city – insecurity - must be taken".
Mgr. Simon Piorno stressed that if the police fail to get results and, on the contrary, the climate of violence grows, then it would be necessary to think about making changes and finding new strategies. Finally, he recalled that on Thursday, 17 he will participate in the March for Peace organized by the inmates at the "Cambio Puente" prison (see Fides 09/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2013)
- 2015-12-01 - The beatification of three missionary martyrs: "Martyrs of faith and charity, witnesses of hope"
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"