AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, in Peru, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, said one must not to be afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out and should be behind bars. Mgr. Simon Piorno made these statements to the local press with regards to blackmail that takes place in the city and that are attributed to the inmates of "Cambio Puente" prison.
The note sent to Fides Agency also says that the Bishop considers a device to be installed to block calls inside the prison unnecessary because this will not stop blackmail, while he stressed: "I repeat, you have to catch criminals who are on the loose, who threaten people in order to get easy money".
The Bishop also expressed concern about the 75 homicides recorded so far this year in Chimbote: "With 75 deaths we seem to be living in the Stone Age period, in which one does not respect the lives of others. These figures are shocking, ones commitment to address the serious problem in the city – insecurity - must be taken".
Mgr. Simon Piorno stressed that if the police fail to get results and, on the contrary, the climate of violence grows, then it would be necessary to think about making changes and finding new strategies. Finally, he recalled that on Thursday, 17 he will participate in the March for Peace organized by the inmates at the "Cambio Puente" prison (see Fides 09/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2013)
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners