AMERICA/PERU - "I am not afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out on the loose and should be inside": the Bishop of Chimbote against violence
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, in Peru, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, said one must not to be afraid of prisoners, but of those who are out and should be behind bars. Mgr. Simon Piorno made these statements to the local press with regards to blackmail that takes place in the city and that are attributed to the inmates of "Cambio Puente" prison.
The note sent to Fides Agency also says that the Bishop considers a device to be installed to block calls inside the prison unnecessary because this will not stop blackmail, while he stressed: "I repeat, you have to catch criminals who are on the loose, who threaten people in order to get easy money".
The Bishop also expressed concern about the 75 homicides recorded so far this year in Chimbote: "With 75 deaths we seem to be living in the Stone Age period, in which one does not respect the lives of others. These figures are shocking, ones commitment to address the serious problem in the city – insecurity - must be taken".
Mgr. Simon Piorno stressed that if the police fail to get results and, on the contrary, the climate of violence grows, then it would be necessary to think about making changes and finding new strategies. Finally, he recalled that on Thursday, 17 he will participate in the March for Peace organized by the inmates at the "Cambio Puente" prison (see Fides 09/10/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/10/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo
- 2014-03-21 - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
- 2014-03-07 - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 - "Without communication, there are no rights"