AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
New York City (Agenzia Fides) - "Education cannot wait", has just concluded, an event organized for the second consecutive year during the General Assembly of the United Nations. According to figures released by the organization just over 28 million children who live in countries affected by conflict have no chance of going to school. The leaders of those governments and international organizations gathered urged immediate action to remedy the problem. Over half of the 57 million school-age children without access to education live in countries where there are ongoing wars and destructions. The conflicts, clashes and displacement in countries such as Syria, the Central African Republic, Mali and the Democratic Republic of Congo, have greatly contributed to the phenomenon . Currently, there are about a million young Syrian refugees. "Education cannot wait for an end to wars or disasters to be resolved", said the executive director of the United Nations Fund for Children (UNICEF), who urged everyone to an immediate intervention in order to help children who do not have the opportunity to receive education. Quality education requires investment and planning that give the little ones who live in the most difficult parts of the world hope and an opportunity for a better future. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 14/10/2013)
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians
- 2015-03-28 - The denunciation of Bishops after the visit in Texas: "Why imprison the most vulnerable?"
- 2015-03-27 - Delegation of Bishops to visit a detention center for immigrant families
- 2015-03-27 - Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV has passed away