AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
New York City (Agenzia Fides) - "Education cannot wait", has just concluded, an event organized for the second consecutive year during the General Assembly of the United Nations. According to figures released by the organization just over 28 million children who live in countries affected by conflict have no chance of going to school. The leaders of those governments and international organizations gathered urged immediate action to remedy the problem. Over half of the 57 million school-age children without access to education live in countries where there are ongoing wars and destructions. The conflicts, clashes and displacement in countries such as Syria, the Central African Republic, Mali and the Democratic Republic of Congo, have greatly contributed to the phenomenon . Currently, there are about a million young Syrian refugees. "Education cannot wait for an end to wars or disasters to be resolved", said the executive director of the United Nations Fund for Children (UNICEF), who urged everyone to an immediate intervention in order to help children who do not have the opportunity to receive education. Quality education requires investment and planning that give the little ones who live in the most difficult parts of the world hope and an opportunity for a better future. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 14/10/2013)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water