AMERICA/UNITED STATES - "Education cannot wait": due to conflicts about 29 million children lack education
New York City (Agenzia Fides) - "Education cannot wait", has just concluded, an event organized for the second consecutive year during the General Assembly of the United Nations. According to figures released by the organization just over 28 million children who live in countries affected by conflict have no chance of going to school. The leaders of those governments and international organizations gathered urged immediate action to remedy the problem. Over half of the 57 million school-age children without access to education live in countries where there are ongoing wars and destructions. The conflicts, clashes and displacement in countries such as Syria, the Central African Republic, Mali and the Democratic Republic of Congo, have greatly contributed to the phenomenon . Currently, there are about a million young Syrian refugees. "Education cannot wait for an end to wars or disasters to be resolved", said the executive director of the United Nations Fund for Children (UNICEF), who urged everyone to an immediate intervention in order to help children who do not have the opportunity to receive education. Quality education requires investment and planning that give the little ones who live in the most difficult parts of the world hope and an opportunity for a better future. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 14/10/2013)
- 2014-11-21 - The Church on the measures for immigrants: "We have a long history of welcoming..."
- 2014-11-20 - 2 and a half million children live in shelters, on the streets or in cars
- 2014-11-18 - Letter of the Bishops of Texas and Ciudad Juarez: "We invite the Pope to come and visit the border area"
- 2014-11-14 - New version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, in English and Spanish
- 2014-11-13 - Students attending Catholic schools increase
- 2014-10-24 - Millions of children and young people feel unsafe in their families
- 2014-09-22 - Waiting for the reform, migrant families continue to be divided
- 2014-09-11 - In few days 25 thousand Iraqi Chaldeans have registered in the lists to apply for a USA visa
- 2014-07-26 - "Looking for a lawyer to represent undocumented children"
- 2014-07-24 - The Bishop of Brownsville: "In the face of a humanitarian crisis, we need a humanitarian response"