AMERICA/ECUADOR – Legalization of abortion, the President threatens to resign: the Church praises him
Guayaquil (Agenzia Fides) – His Exc. Mgr. Antonio Arregui, Archbishop of Guayaquil and President of the Ecuadorian Episcopal Conference (CEE), has defined the position of the country's president, Rafael Correa, as "commendable" with regards to the issue of a possible legalization of abortion. Correa has in fact threatened to resign if his party, "Alianza País", continues to put pressure regading the approval of a reform that would legalize abortion.
In a note sent to Fides, Mgr. Arregui said he was "impressed by the courage, the quality with which the president spoke". Mgr. Arregui also states that the Church's position on this issue is well known: "We believe that human life is sacred and cannot be eliminated". As reported in the note sent to Fides, this week there will be an official statement of the Catholic Church.
Rafael Correa, speaking on TV, stigmatized in particular parliamentarians belonging to his party who support the bill for the decriminalization of abortion, a practice that currently the Criminal Code strictly prohibits. According to what the local press reports, Correa spoke of "serious betrayal and treachery", recalling that he had always made clear his opposition to any form of legalization of abortion. Correa defines himself "leftist, humanist and Catholic". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/10/2013)
- 2013-11-15 AMERICA/ECUADOR - National Congress: Religious freedom and the public dimension of faith for the closing of the Year of Faith
- 2013-10-30 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Resignation of the Apostolic Vicar of Galapagos and appointment of successor
- 2013-10-14 AMERICA/ECUADOR – Legalization of abortion, the President threatens to resign: the Church praises him
- 2013-09-16 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Commitment of the parish of Imantag for vulnerable people
- 2013-08-22 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Over 4 million working children engaged in high-risk activities
- 2013-08-09 AMERICA/ECUADOR - International Day of Indigenous Peoples: the demands of the indigenous of Ecuador
- 2013-08-02 AMERICA/ECUADOR - OCLACC Assembly: The Mission of communicators, promoting the spread of truth
- 2013-07-10 AMERICA/ECUADOR - Bishop Arellano launches the alarm concerning the new legislation on drug use, the country is divided
- 2013-06-19 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The new Communications Law has been approved
- 2013-05-11 AMERICA/ECUADOR - The first Holy Colombian, big feast also in the Ande of Ecuador