ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: does not want a "Kurdish State" in the Syrian province of Jazira
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides ) - "The only ones who want to create a Kurdish autonomous region in northern Syria are the militants of the PKK, the Abdullah Ocalan party. But the project does not even receive acclaim from other Kurds. Even less by Muslim tribes and us Christians". This is how the Syrian Catholic Archbishop Behnam Hindo describes to Fides Agency the reactions among the local population with regards to the rumors about the possible creation of an autonomous area in northeastern Syria, in fact subtracted by the control of the central government in Damascus.
Recently, the Kurdish Democratic Party (PYD, Syrian expression of the Karkerên Kurdistan Party (PKK ) has declared ''the intention of creating a Kurdish autonomous region in the Syrian province of Jazira. "During the committee meetings which bring together the heads of different ethnic and religious communities", explains Archbishop Hindo, titular of the eparchy of Hassaké - Nisibi "we have already rejected the proposal to create a constituent Assembly and a popular Assembly that proclaimed the autonomy of the region. Not even the majority of the Kurds want to create an autonomous political entity where the leadership is exercised by the dominant ethnic or religious group. At most one can propose a confederation of local communities that will set new relations with the central government in Damascus. Historically, the resources produced in the province of Jazira have always been looted by the state administration. This will no longer happen". Archbishop Hindo frames the autonomist tendencies inspired by the PKK in the context of the ongoing conflict: "In this area of Syria, the PKK Kurdish militias are holding a clash with Islamist groups affiliated with Al- Qaeda". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2013)
- 2015-05-26 - The jihadists retreat from the villages on the river Khabur, leaving destroyed crosses and vandalized churches
- 2015-05-25 - Syrian Catholic Patriarch Ignace Youssif III: prayer and fasting for father Murad and deacon Hanna’s release
- 2015-05-22 - ASIA/SYRIA – Fr. Jacques Murad kidnapped; he belonged to the same community of Father Paolo Dall'Oglio
- 2015-05-13 - Raid of the coalition in the Khabur valley; Assyrian hostages are likely to become "human shields"
- 2015-05-08 - Chaldean Bishop of Aleppo: in dirty wars in the Middle East there are those who exploit the suffering of Christians
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop Hindo: "jihadi attack warded off in Hassaké. Deadlock in negotiations for the release of Assyrian hostages"
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed