AMERICA/HONDURAS - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) – Just over a month since the presidential election, the Episcopal Conference of Honduras has asked the Honduran people to go to the polls "without pressure or threats, without selling their vote; but with the knowledge that this event will be a guarantee for fair coexistance".
The Catholic Bishops, gathered in the ordinary general assembly in the capital, have in fact presented in a document, also sent to Fides Agency, their reflections in view of the general elections on 24 November. In a formal statement , they urge voters to "be vigilant and ready to detect and report any fraud or illegal practices that can alter the transparency and the outcome of elections".
This document, structured in 21 points, raises questions about the concrete national reality and the holding of the event, but also points out "positive signs" in the civil community: the work of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, the maturity of the candidates, the interest of the international institutions and the role of the Catholic Church, present in every sector of society. Finally they express their confidence in the future of the country, with a first step towards political and social reorganization that allows the elaboration of a national, pluralistic, fair and accountable project, that respects human dignity and defends the rights of all. The text is dated October 9, 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2013)
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues