AMERICA/HONDURAS - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) – Just over a month since the presidential election, the Episcopal Conference of Honduras has asked the Honduran people to go to the polls "without pressure or threats, without selling their vote; but with the knowledge that this event will be a guarantee for fair coexistance".
The Catholic Bishops, gathered in the ordinary general assembly in the capital, have in fact presented in a document, also sent to Fides Agency, their reflections in view of the general elections on 24 November. In a formal statement , they urge voters to "be vigilant and ready to detect and report any fraud or illegal practices that can alter the transparency and the outcome of elections".
This document, structured in 21 points, raises questions about the concrete national reality and the holding of the event, but also points out "positive signs" in the civil community: the work of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, the maturity of the candidates, the interest of the international institutions and the role of the Catholic Church, present in every sector of society. Finally they express their confidence in the future of the country, with a first step towards political and social reorganization that allows the elaboration of a national, pluralistic, fair and accountable project, that respects human dignity and defends the rights of all. The text is dated October 9, 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election