AMERICA/HONDURAS - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election
San Pedro Sula (Agenzia Fides) – Just over a month since the presidential election, the Episcopal Conference of Honduras has asked the Honduran people to go to the polls "without pressure or threats, without selling their vote; but with the knowledge that this event will be a guarantee for fair coexistance".
The Catholic Bishops, gathered in the ordinary general assembly in the capital, have in fact presented in a document, also sent to Fides Agency, their reflections in view of the general elections on 24 November. In a formal statement , they urge voters to "be vigilant and ready to detect and report any fraud or illegal practices that can alter the transparency and the outcome of elections".
This document, structured in 21 points, raises questions about the concrete national reality and the holding of the event, but also points out "positive signs" in the civil community: the work of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal, the maturity of the candidates, the interest of the international institutions and the role of the Catholic Church, present in every sector of society. Finally they express their confidence in the future of the country, with a first step towards political and social reorganization that allows the elaboration of a national, pluralistic, fair and accountable project, that respects human dignity and defends the rights of all. The text is dated October 9, 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 11/10/2013)
- 2015-07-17 - Sexual abuse on children have repercussions in adulthood
- 2015-07-15 - A new ward for children suffering from dengue and chikungunya
- 2015-07-15 - Campaign of the diocese of San Pedro Sula: "An honest man is not corrupt"
- 2015-07-06 - Still demonstrations against corruption, while other scandals come to light
- 2015-07-03 - The Bishops offer their support to dialogue for social peace
- 2015-06-27 - The Church: "politics without corruption"
- 2015-05-21 - "With courage and more faith": Danilo Aceituno lived at the service of God and of the Church
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"