AFRICA/EGYPT - Two years after the massacre of Maspero, Copts are still waiting for justice
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - On the second anniversary of the massacre of Maspero, which on October 9, 2011 saw 23 Christian Coptics massacred by the departments of the Egyptian army, hundreds of militant movements and acronyms related to the Coptic community organized a vigil in Cairo with candles, where two years ago the armored military overran the Christian demonstrators who were protesting against the violence carried out by Islamist gangs. The participants in the vigil yesterday, showed photos of the victims, and denounced again the impunity that the perpetrators of the massacre have benefitted from, pointing the finger at former General Marshal Hussein Tantawi and senior representatives of the army then. After the vigil, protesters tried to reach Tahrir Square in procession, but their attempt was prevented by army units that dispersed the demonstration by resorting to tear gas.
On the second anniversary of the massacre, the Coptic Orthodox bishop Abanub also presided over a vigil of prayer and reflection in memory of the victims in the monastery of St. Simon the tanner. Even the Coptic Bishop - refer Egyptian sources consulted by the Fides Agency - in his speech addressed a speach to the government and the military, insisting that the Christian Coptics will not forget the martyrs of Maspero and will continue to ask for justice. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2013)
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake
- 2015-06-24 - The campaign to "clean up" the bookshops and libraries of mosques of extremist propaganda continues
- 2015-06-22 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros receives a delegation of Chinese People
- 2015-06-15 - The Egyptian Ambassador to the Holy See: Al Sisi has invited Pope Francis to Egypt
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"