AFRICA/EGYPT - Two years after the massacre of Maspero, Copts are still waiting for justice
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - On the second anniversary of the massacre of Maspero, which on October 9, 2011 saw 23 Christian Coptics massacred by the departments of the Egyptian army, hundreds of militant movements and acronyms related to the Coptic community organized a vigil in Cairo with candles, where two years ago the armored military overran the Christian demonstrators who were protesting against the violence carried out by Islamist gangs. The participants in the vigil yesterday, showed photos of the victims, and denounced again the impunity that the perpetrators of the massacre have benefitted from, pointing the finger at former General Marshal Hussein Tantawi and senior representatives of the army then. After the vigil, protesters tried to reach Tahrir Square in procession, but their attempt was prevented by army units that dispersed the demonstration by resorting to tear gas.
On the second anniversary of the massacre, the Coptic Orthodox bishop Abanub also presided over a vigil of prayer and reflection in memory of the victims in the monastery of St. Simon the tanner. Even the Coptic Bishop - refer Egyptian sources consulted by the Fides Agency - in his speech addressed a speach to the government and the military, insisting that the Christian Coptics will not forget the martyrs of Maspero and will continue to ask for justice. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/10/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West
- 2014-10-28 - St. Catherine's Monastery denies the news of an Islamist attack