AMERICA/PERU - The prisoners march for peace in Chimbote, the Bishop is present
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - For the Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, the march for peace and against the wave of killings that is bloodying the city of Chimbote, organized by the inmates of the Penitentiary Centre "Change Puente" on October 17 at 10 am, is a gesture worthy of imitation. "It is a good initiative that the detainees have promoted. I have been asked to be present in celebrating the Eucharist. They want to make an appeal to the whole community so that violent deaths cease in our city and to live in a climate of peace", said the Bishop.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Simon Piorno reiterates that this march inside the prison should be imitated by the population, that often remain indifferent. The Bishop complains that the killings of people, often innocent, continue, so "it is the duty of all to fight, somehow, against this wave of crime".
According to local sources in the city of Chimbote (440 km north of the capital Lima, about 1 million inhabitants) from the beginning of the year until mid-August, there were at least 60 deaths due to violence. The phenomenon is on the rise since last year which sees gangs, dishonest dealers or neighboring groups who want the control of different areas . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/10/2013)
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need