AMERICA/PERU - The prisoners march for peace in Chimbote, the Bishop is present
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides) - For the Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, the march for peace and against the wave of killings that is bloodying the city of Chimbote, organized by the inmates of the Penitentiary Centre "Change Puente" on October 17 at 10 am, is a gesture worthy of imitation. "It is a good initiative that the detainees have promoted. I have been asked to be present in celebrating the Eucharist. They want to make an appeal to the whole community so that violent deaths cease in our city and to live in a climate of peace", said the Bishop.
In the note sent to Fides Agency, Mgr. Simon Piorno reiterates that this march inside the prison should be imitated by the population, that often remain indifferent. The Bishop complains that the killings of people, often innocent, continue, so "it is the duty of all to fight, somehow, against this wave of crime".
According to local sources in the city of Chimbote (440 km north of the capital Lima, about 1 million inhabitants) from the beginning of the year until mid-August, there were at least 60 deaths due to violence. The phenomenon is on the rise since last year which sees gangs, dishonest dealers or neighboring groups who want the control of different areas . (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/10/2013)
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"