AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Calm returns in Bangassou. "Now we need to reconcile the souls" says the Bishop
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday we saw Abdallah , the "warlord" who had spread terror in Bangassou. He was put on a plane to be transported to Bangui, where he will be judged for the crimes committed", says to Fides Agency Juan José Aguirre Muños, Bishop of Bangassou, the south-eastern city in the Central African Republic, where since October 1, part of the population had rebelled against the continued harassment perpetrated by the Seleka militiamen (see Fides 01/10/2013). The situation risked degenerating into an interfaith fight because Seleka had armed Muslim traders who had lined up alongside the militiamen. "At least 12 people died in the clashes, and tension was high, to the point that the government in Bangui was forced to send a delegation of two Ministers and a military contingent to restore order", said Mgr. Aguirre.
"The military unarmed the men of Seleka and both Christian and Muslim civilians. Now we are waiting for the arrival of the soldiers of the peacekeeping force of the Countries of Central Africa that will guarantee security in the city".
"The important work to do is to reconcile the souls", stresses the Bishop. We are organizing to send dialogue committees in different districts of Bangassou (predominantly Catholic, Muslim or mixed) in order to promote forgiveness and tolerance after the tragic moments lived", concluded Mgr. Aguirre.
Meanwhile, the Catholic and Protestant churches in the country have signed the "Appeal of Bangui" with which one invites the faithful Christians to peace and reconciliation with Muslims and calls upon the international community to intervene in order to get Central Africa out of the crisis. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 08/10/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam