AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
Santiago (Agenzia Fides) - The trafficking of Haitian children continues to increase at an alarming rate on the border between the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Local authorities, human rights organizations and civil society of the Dominican State have launched the admonition of stricter controls on the borders between the two Countries. The children arrive malnourished, barefoot and unkempt. The phenomenon is particularly aggravated by the fact that, once they arrive in Dominican Republic they cannot be repatriated. Institutions in Haiti are very weak, the Country has so many problems, so it is the Dominican State that takes charge of this alarming and increasing phenomenon.
According to local sources, when the children arrive in the Country, especially in the north, in the city of Santiago, Santo Domingo and others, they are exploited by traffickers. In addition, many who are often alone and abandoned on the streets become easy prey for pedophiles. Humanitarian organizations believe that the Dominican government has a duty to implement laws that punish trafficking and protect children's rights, as laid down in international conventions. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/10/2013)
AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – THE TRAFFICKING OF HAITIAN CHILDREN TOWARDS THE DOMINICAN STATE INCREASES
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty
- 2015-05-15 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, Colombian, elected President of CELAM
- 2015-05-04 - The Bishops encourage the President to continue direct contact with people most in need
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,
- 2014-10-03 - "A people on a mission, sensitive towards solidarity": the National Assembly of Pastoral care is underway
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country
- 2014-07-22 - Although some people promote hate, the Church is committed to peaceful coexistence
- 2014-07-07 - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly