AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Dominican Republic, Danilo Medina and his wife Candida Montilla de Medina, were witnesses to the signing of the agreement - commitment of the Dominican Episcopal Conference (DEC) with which the Church is also committed in the Plan of literacy in the country, through the registration of any person over 15 years of age who needs to learn to read and write.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the act took place in the House of evangelization John Paul II, in the north of Santo Domingo. There were several government authorities, while Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez, President of the DEC; His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Nicanor Peña Rodríguez, Vice President, and other Bishops signed on behalf of the DEC.
The parties agreed to meet every two months to review progress and coordinate new literacy actions to be accomplished. The Bishops' Conference will also promote local literacy projects in every parish, led by volunteers selected from among the parishioners themselves. Only in the province of Santo Domingo 1,611 meeting centers were organized for the first 19,000 enrolled.
The National Plan of literacy began in January 2013 when the government verified, in the first official survey, that there are about 851,396 people over 15 who can neither read nor write. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/10/2013)
- 2013-12-02 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC- Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - At least 850 suspected cases of dengue in the north of the Country
- 2013-06-24 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A nationalism that creates tension is not part of Caribbean cohabitation