AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Dominican Republic, Danilo Medina and his wife Candida Montilla de Medina, were witnesses to the signing of the agreement - commitment of the Dominican Episcopal Conference (DEC) with which the Church is also committed in the Plan of literacy in the country, through the registration of any person over 15 years of age who needs to learn to read and write.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the act took place in the House of evangelization John Paul II, in the north of Santo Domingo. There were several government authorities, while Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez, President of the DEC; His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Nicanor Peña Rodríguez, Vice President, and other Bishops signed on behalf of the DEC.
The parties agreed to meet every two months to review progress and coordinate new literacy actions to be accomplished. The Bishops' Conference will also promote local literacy projects in every parish, led by volunteers selected from among the parishioners themselves. Only in the province of Santo Domingo 1,611 meeting centers were organized for the first 19,000 enrolled.
The National Plan of literacy began in January 2013 when the government verified, in the first official survey, that there are about 851,396 people over 15 who can neither read nor write. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/10/2013)
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty
- 2015-05-15 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, Colombian, elected President of CELAM
- 2015-05-04 - The Bishops encourage the President to continue direct contact with people most in need
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,
- 2014-10-03 - "A people on a mission, sensitive towards solidarity": the National Assembly of Pastoral care is underway
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country
- 2014-07-22 - Although some people promote hate, the Church is committed to peaceful coexistence
- 2014-07-07 - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly