AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - The President of the Dominican Republic, Danilo Medina and his wife Candida Montilla de Medina, were witnesses to the signing of the agreement - commitment of the Dominican Episcopal Conference (DEC) with which the Church is also committed in the Plan of literacy in the country, through the registration of any person over 15 years of age who needs to learn to read and write.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency, the act took place in the House of evangelization John Paul II, in the north of Santo Domingo. There were several government authorities, while Cardinal Nicolás de Jesús López Rodríguez, President of the DEC; His Exc. Mgr. Gregorio Nicanor Peña Rodríguez, Vice President, and other Bishops signed on behalf of the DEC.
The parties agreed to meet every two months to review progress and coordinate new literacy actions to be accomplished. The Bishops' Conference will also promote local literacy projects in every parish, led by volunteers selected from among the parishioners themselves. Only in the province of Santo Domingo 1,611 meeting centers were organized for the first 19,000 enrolled.
The National Plan of literacy began in January 2013 when the government verified, in the first official survey, that there are about 851,396 people over 15 who can neither read nor write. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 07/10/2013)
- 2015-10-29 - Archbishop Bretón Martínez contrary to the wall to prevent the entry of Haitians
- 2015-10-16 - "Learn to live with mutual respect": tension between Haiti and Dominican Republic decreases
- 2015-10-09 - Catholic Church and Public Health together against dengue
- 2015-10-06 - Tensions between Haiti and Santo Domingo for economic measures, the Bishops denounce those who sow discord
- 2015-09-30 - First "regional dialogue" against food waste
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of pilgrims for the feast of the Patron saint of the country
- 2015-09-22 - Dengue: alert in hospitals and health centers in the Country
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez