ASIA/IRAQ - The Chaldean Patriarchate prohibits the unauthorized sale of Church properties
Baghdad ( Agenzia Fides) - The Patriarchate of Babylon of the Chaldeans has formally prohibited the sale of land and houses belonging to the patrimony of the Church without permission "of the high ecclesiastical authorities". The restrictive provision was made public in a statement on October 5 and makes explicit reference to the Holy See as a last resort call to grant licenses for the sale of properties belonging to the Church. The text sent to Fides, recalls the Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation Ecclesia in the Middle East (signed by Pope Benedict XVI) along with other recommendations issued by the dicastries of the Holy See regarding the sale of church property, particularly in Countries in the Middle East. The Patriarchate calls on all bishops and heads of monasteries to take charge of the recommendations contained in the note.
Since his election to the Patriarchal See of Babylon of the Chaldeans, which took place at the end of January, the Chaldean Patriarch, Louis Raphael I Sako has intervened several times on the sensitive issue of the management of the assets belonging to the Church. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/10/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"