AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Still tension in Nosy Be after the killing of three people accused of having killed and mutilated a child
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - "The situation in Nosy Be is still very tense because the demonstrations of the population continue and the authorities have imposed a curfew at night. At least three Ministers are on the spot to try to calm things down", says to Fides Agency Fr. Luca Treglia, Director of Radio Don Bosco in Antananarivo in Madagascar, where on the island of Nosy Be, three people (a Frenchman, an Italian and a Malagasy) were tortured and killed by the people after the discovery of the mutilated body of a child.
The three were accused of abusing the child and of being involved in organ trafficking.
Fr. Luca confirms that Nosy Be "is the area with the highest risk of sex tourism in Madagascar", but on the assumption of organ trafficking the Director of Radio Don Bosco is prudent. "It is a fact yet to be verified", he says. "Although on several occasions alarm over alleged export of human organs have spread in Madagascar". "According to a local newspaper (the truthfulness of which should however be verified), the two Europeans admitted under torture of being involved in organ trafficking, but under torture one can admit anything", concluded Fr. Luca. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/10/2013)
- 2015-09-29 - "Ilena is no longer a ghetto": ex-leper colony in the village finally has electricity
- 2015-06-16 - No to impeachment against the President; one is moving towards the formation of a new government
- 2015-05-28 - The President denies the motion for dismissal, the Bishops denounce "the culture of corruption"
- 2015-05-27 - "We are going back to chaos," says a missionary after the vote to remove the President
- 2015-04-29 - Half the population has no access to drinking water, 4,000 children die every year
- 2014-11-26 - Nearly two million children have dropped out of school to work
- 2014-07-10 - Catholic priest taken hostage by bandits has been released
- 2014-01-17 - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"